Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Flash to pass?

[ QUOTE ]
If you are holding up traffic... GET OUT OF THE WAY!

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is usually when some joker flashes his brights at me, I'm already doing 80 in the 65 or whatever and thats not good enough for them so I'm just holding up them and I really don't care. I have seriously considered letting them pass and calling Highway patrol just to be a dick quite a few times.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:38 PM

If there is little to no traffic other than the dude in the left lane I'll deal for about thirty seconds, during which time I slowly inch forward. If she (note that it is seldom a he who does this) hasn't noticed/cared at this point I continue tailgating them for a few more seconds, after which I pull into the right lane and pass them. As I'm passing them I try to establish eye contact so I can shake my head while looking disgusted/disappointed. I don't really like flashing my brights at them.

Swede
Old 07-11-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is usually when some joker flashes his brights at me, I'm already doing 80 in the 65 or whatever and thats not good enough for them so I'm just holding up them and I really don't care. I have seriously considered letting them pass and calling Highway patrol just to be a dick quite a few times.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't matter how fast you are going, if someone else is going FASTER get outta his way. Who made you the guy to decide how fast people can driving without having to get out of the way of faster traffic?

What do you do when you are approaching someone going 75 in a 65?

What does the guy going 75 in the 65 do when he approaches someone doing 70?

What does the guy doing 70 in the 65 do when he approaches someone doing 65?

It's not often that someone is going faster than me, but when someone is I get outta his way. Seems like common courtesy and commonsense to me.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't matter how fast you are going, if someone else is going FASTER get outta his way. Who made you the guy to decide how fast people can driving without having to get out of the way of faster traffic?

What do you do when you are approaching someone going 75 in a 65?

What does the guy going 75 in the 65 do when he approaches someone doing 70?

What does the guy doing 70 in the 65 do when he approaches someone doing 65?

It's not often that someone is going faster than me, but when someone is I get outta his way. Seems like common courtesy and commonsense to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Besides, if I'm going fifteen miles above the limit and some clown is overtaking me quickly, going thirty miles over I want him way ahead of me, not right behind me getting frustrated.

Swede
Old 07-11-2005, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Especially when I am driving in the left lane 8-10 mph over the speed limit

[/ QUOTE ]
The problem is that most idiots on the road think exactly like this. "I'm already doing 10 over! Too bad, he can't pass!" How fast you are going in relation to the speed limit is irrelevant.
[ QUOTE ]
and regularly passing people. If people try and pass me on the right I usually speed up. I'm a dick.

[/ QUOTE ]
Speed relative to other drivers is the important part. Obviously, you aren't passing people as "regularly" as you think.

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, these are people who pass on the right immediately.

[/ QUOTE ]
If I have time to pass you on the right, then you had time to move over, and should have done so. You've already proven to be an idiot by travelling in the left lane, I'm not going to give you the benefit of the doubt when it comes to moving over.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:02 PM

I never said I wasn't going to get out of his way, but I'm not goign to inconvienence myself to do so. It really sucks to be a nice guy, move to the left lane and then get stuck in the slow lane.

If the left lane is clear, I usually go ahead and move over. But more often than not, there is just enough traffic that I would end up stuck behind a truck or something which I really hate. People that expect you to move over when you are clearly passing a broken line of traffic on the left need to learn a little courtesy of their own.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I have time to pass you on the right, then you had time to move over, and should have done so.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have it all wrong, RunDown. You should patiently wait for them to finish their phone call, drink the rest of their coffee, check their lipstick, and find a suitable radio station... THEN they will allow you to pass them.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I never said I wasn't going to get out of his way, but I'm not goign to inconvienence myself to do so. It really sucks to be a nice guy, move to the left lane and then get stuck in the slow lane.

If the left lane is clear, I usually go ahead and move over. But more often than not, there is just enough traffic that I would end up stuck behind a truck or something which I really hate. People that expect you to move over when you are clearly passing a broken line of traffic on the left need to learn a little courtesy of their own.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the situation I normally see. I rarely ever see someone refuse to move to the right if there is plenty of room and they will not have to slow their own speed in order to let someone pass.

If I am driving 5-10 over in the left lane and slowly overtaking broken traffic in the right lanes I'm not moving over and slowing down so some idiot can drive by at 20 over. When traffic allows me to move over and maintain my own speed I will move over.

Flashing your lights at me in this situation will just increase your drive time considerably.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:41 PM

Illinois now has a law making it illegal to drive in the left lane when someone wants to pass (absolute speed is no issue - only relative).

And if people flash brights at me, I would get angry. Then again, I don't think anyone has ever flashed me. I always move right once I'm done passing.

I also pass on the right a ton. I don't care.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:32 PM

Just a quick message to all the tailgaters out there.

I don't care if you're wrong or you're right. If you tailgate me, I'm going to brake-check your ass hard.