Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2005, 08:15 PM

Default UTG limps raise A8s UTG+1

I've got tough players to my left but after the Axs poll ...

Really bad loose passive calling station limps UTG. I raise UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Tough 30/20/agressive UTG+2 cold calls only UTG calls.

Flop 774 two spades

UTG checks, I bet, UTG+2 raises, UTG folds.

I call and check fold unimproved on the turn.

okay?

chez
Old 06-13-2005, 07:55 AM

Default Re: UTG limps raise A8s UTG+1

dull?
stupid?
obvious?
bump
Old 06-13-2005, 08:02 AM

Standard.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tough 30/20/agressive UTG+2 cold calls

[/ QUOTE ]

Given this player, what do you think he'd cold call a raise with? 88? AQ? KsQs? Out of these hands, I think KsQs or KsJs would be most likley. Otherwise, I'd expected a three-bet. However, there are so many more of those other hands that have you beaten, that even if he will seldom cold call with those hands, you may still be likely beat. I don't mind the way you played (check/fold on Turn), but given more insight on the player (specifically that you'd be surprised if he just cold called with 88 or AQ), I don't think check/call Turn and River (given no spade) would be incorrect.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tough 30/20/agressive UTG+2 cold calls

[/ QUOTE ]

Given this player, what do you think he'd cold call a raise with? 88? AQ? KsQs? Out of these hands, I think KsQs or KsJs would be most likley. Otherwise, I'd expected a three-bet. However, there are so many more of those other hands that have you beaten, that even if he will seldom cold call with those hands, you may still be likely beat. I don't mind the way you played (check/fold on Turn), but given more insight on the player (specifically that you'd be surprised if he just cold called with 88 or AQ), I don't think check/call Turn and River (given no spade) would be incorrect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Txs, Just joined table and no real read on UTG+1 (datamined stats). Don't know what he thought of me and don't know how much he knew about the UTG fish.

Normally I would just fold this pre-flop given that I had no feel for the table yet. Stung into playing it by the Axs thread [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I think that if raising pre-flop is to be profitable then I need to call this down a fair bit but I'm still unsure as to whether I should play this at all with tough players on my left. Maybe if I'd been at the table longer?

[and you'd play A2s here ???]

chez
Old 06-13-2005, 09:53 AM

A2s I'd limp.
A9s/A8s - I think limping or raising are both fine. If you have a better idea of the players, then you can lean towards one way or another.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:33 AM

you are likely still ahead of UTG+2. With those stats, he is reraising a big hand like AK or AQ, but he is possibly calling you with KQs or QJs possibly, other likely hands are small pocket pairs. He didn't flop a set or he wouldn't have raised. He probably figures that flop totally missed you and he's taking a shot at you. I don't think that check folding the turn is terrible, but I think its marginal between a call down, or check folding.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:49 PM

utg+2 could have a better ace and not have 3 bet, he could have any pair!!!!!!
check fold the turn UI
Standard
Old 06-13-2005, 11:52 PM

You mind a raise here with A2s ?, considering the tough guy will lay down better aces that he may raise if you limp. He will probably also fold stuff like weakish facecards, that you also prefer him to do here.