Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 03-08-2005, 09:35 PM

Default UTG Vs. SB

I’m a new PP 5/10 6 Max PP player and have been trying to adjust my pre-flop standards from full ring game. I’m unconvinced that utg standards should be significantly tighter then SB standards. Obviously in the SB you already have money in the pot making more hands playable, yet I find that playing a hand like A9s would be more profitable from UTG. In 6-max you only have 2 players acting after you and with a UTG raise you have a chance of buying the button, making A9 a profitable hand. If you are 3 bet every time this play would be -ev, yet if you were just called/folded to SB a majority of the time would A9s then be +ev? If you were to be 3bet would the nut flush draw make a call worth it? (obviously that has much to with who you are playing, how many players ect) This concept would only work with loose passive tables but still has got me thinking. Table image would also be a factor. Does anyone have any PT stats about raising UTG with more questionable starting hands? Id like to keep this post about theory and not an argument involving excel (so don’t respond to this post please)