Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 11-03-2004, 03:51 PM

Default 2005 WSOP Battle Plan – Please Help

A few friends and I are thinking about going to the 2005 WSOP next year at the Rio Hotel. We are thinking about directly buying into the $1500 NLHE Event or the $1500 PLHE Event. Of course we’ll try to win online qualifiers into the Main Event too, but we’ll see how that goes.

I’ve never been to the WSOP, but I’ve played in dozens of live $50-$150 buy-in events. So here are some questions for those of you who have played in WSOP events in the past-

1) Is there an advantage to staying at the host hotel, or will any decent place nearby work?
2) Do they play satellites for the $1500 events, and if so how do they work?
3) Any other logistical advice (besides getting in early and getting plenty of sleep)?
4) What are the differences between a typical $100 buy-in B&M MTT and a $1500 WSOP Event – other than I could be playing next to WSOP bracelet winners?
5) Are there any things in particular that I should be working on with regards to my game or practicing on (or just everything)?
6) I’m thinking that there might be more dead money in the NLHE Event than the PLHE Event since NLHE is more popular these days and because I figure that the ratio of amateurs to pros will be higher in the NLHE event. Any comments?

Thanks,
Don
Old 11-03-2004, 06:18 PM

Default Re: 2005 WSOP Battle Plan – Please Help

ok, I'll give it a shot for you:

1. No advantage, just stay somewhere nearby. I stayed at the Golden Nugget during the Main Event last year.

2. Yes, they play satellites. Should be 175 buyin. The winner will get 1500 in buyin chips and 120 cash.

3. nothing here

4. You're gonna have alot more play than your typical B&M MTT and the field will be huge in the NL event.

5. nothing here

6. Yes, there will be more dead money in the NL tourney. The PL tourneys are generally much tougher, smaller fields.

GL Don

Gavin Griffin
Old 11-03-2004, 06:23 PM

Hard to answer questions like this in general, because this year's WSOP will be different from the past. Other than changing the site from downtown to the Rio, and significantly modifying the schedule, it's hard to know what Harrah's will do.

[ QUOTE ]
1) Is there an advantage to staying at the host hotel, or will any decent place nearby work?

[/ QUOTE ]
It will be more convenient to stay at the Rio. The Gold Coast is also within walking distance. Otherwise transportation can be a hassle.

[ QUOTE ]
5) Are there any things in particular that I should be working on with regards to my game or practicing on (or just everything)?

[/ QUOTE ]
Depends what your weaknesses are.

[ QUOTE ]
6) I’m thinking that there might be more dead money in the NLHE Event than the PLHE Event since NLHE is more popular these days and because I figure that the ratio of amateurs to pros will be higher in the NLHE event. Any comments?

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. In general, PLHE events have tougher competition than NLHE events.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:26 PM

Either way, best of luck to the both of ya.

XZQ,

John
Old 11-03-2004, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
4) What are the differences between a typical $100 buy-in B&M MTT and a $1500 WSOP Event – other than I could be playing next to WSOP bracelet winners?

[/ QUOTE ]

Very different. Much more aggressive play. The pro players are constantly coming over the top of you if you limp or make a small preflop raise. You need to adjust and become more aggressive yourself. It's the exception see an flop by limping, while in your typical $100 tournament many flops are seen without a preflop raise.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:22 AM

Nice tooting of your own horn. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2004, 03:40 AM

No tooting, it's the truth. The PL tourneys don't get as many players and the ones who do play them are generally not just some guy off the street.... ummm, except for me last year I guess.

Gavin Griffin
Old 11-04-2004, 11:31 AM

Thanks for the info guys!
Old 11-04-2004, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I’m thinking that there might be more dead money

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you agree that "dead money" in NLH tournaments is not as dead as it once was?

Vince