Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 10-07-2004, 08:37 PM

Default PP 10+1 SNG - Bottom set on a sickly coordinated flop

Hey all.

I read the "Beating the party poker 10+1 SNG" thread and figured I'd give them a try. This is the only puzzling hand from my first SNG (one of only 3 I played voluntarily for the first 4 phases).

Should I have come out firing on the flop? What would I do if raised? I'm a sometime stupidly-aggressive limit player, but I think I was playing my first SNG really weak-tight.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed)

BB (t1255)
UTG (t1340)
Hero (t775)
MP1 (t655)
MP2 (t925)
MP3 (t1080)
CO (t550)
Button (t740)
SB (t680)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls t15, Hero calls t15, MP1 calls t15, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises to t30</font>, MP3 calls t30, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls t20, BB calls t15, UTG calls t15, Hero calls t15, MP1 calls t15.

Flop: (t210) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets t125</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">SB raises to t250</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, Hero folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls t125.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:44 PM

Default Re: PP 10+1 SNG - Bottom set on a sickly coordinated flop

I would have bet out on the flop. You may have the best hand here and you don't want to let someone with the Kd to get a free card. If you are raised, then you calculate your pot odds. You still have a draw to the full house.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:36 PM

Hero is 33% dog at worst. Even if he turns over the nut flush, you have 1/3 chance of hitting the full. (well, they could have top or middle set, but you just pay em off)

So, go out, bet or check-raise. I'd bet here, hoping to be called by two pair or a King of Diamonds. When raised by those hands or the flush, I either three bet all-in, or fold, depending on the odds.

If two people get their chips all in, you call, without a second doubt. You hit that full, and you have the best hand, almost no doubt.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:52 PM

I think with that many people seeing the flop, there's a decent chance someone already has the flush. The only reason why people are LESS likely to have a flopped flush than normal, is b/c there's an A on the flop. But early stages at $10 level, many people like to play any two suited (K4s, 96s, I see that crap all the time). Doubtful you're up against a higher set (although some people min raise with AA).

Betting on the flop doesn't seem like a good idea. Even though you MIGHT have the best hand here, you'll likely get called by a K hi flush draw, with even an allin bet (at $5-$10 level, almost no bet gets someone off a flush draw), and that's not a GREAT gamble. And if you don't have the best hand, you don't want to risk all your chips on a drawing hand this early.

At the $10 level, people will some people slowplay a flopped flush (even if it's like J hi or something crazy). I'd probably check the flop for a free card to try and improve with that many people. If the turn is not a diamond, bet like 1-1.5x pot or so, and see if you get raised.

Although, sometimes I just get an urge to allin, and you get called by a flush and you feel like an idiot (btw: about 33:66 that you'll beat a flopped flush with a flopped set by river). But the more annoying part is getting called by the flush draw and then getting outdrawn.
Old 10-08-2004, 05:19 PM

Thanks for the advice guys.

I think I was hoping to see the turn cheaply, and I would then make a move if a non-diamond hit (or of course if I hit my boat). With the bet and check-raise in front of me, it just wasn't happening.

Live and learn...