Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-31-2005, 01:46 AM

Default Poker as a living. How to deal with my family?

Forgive me if this is posted in the wrong area.

I am almost 20 years old and taking a break from school. I started playing internet poker for money back in November, I had some ups and downs at first but since about February it has been almost entirely up. Between February and April I won about 700 dollars playing poker at levels around .25/.50 and .50/1 with about 3.8BB/100. In April I took a $215 deposit and turned it into 1200 within a few weeks. I had to cash out all but 20 dollars to pay some expenses.

I currently have a part time job(10-20hrs a week) which I am using to fund my poker account. My parents are on my ass telling me that I need to get a real job with health benefits where I am working full time and have a "future" and am doing something "productive". I explained that I was going to try to play poker as a living as soon as I got my bankroll sufficient to play 2/4. My parents laughed at me and said that less than .1% of the population is successful playing poker.

So I pulled out my Poker Tracker stats and showed my BB/100 over the last 30k hands at the varying limits. I explained the concepts of EV and multitabling and how much money I could reasonably expect to make.

They kept insisting that poker is based on luck and I kept giving examples to refute it. Then they changed their argument to the fact that I should be doing something to "help" society. I am intelligent and have always done very well in school, and they want me to use my intelligence to better mankind. I brought up how they had always taught me to find something I enjoy doing and the money will come. I said that I really enjoy poker and make a good amount of money doing it so why shouldn't I try to make it a full time thing. They talked in circles for a bit and finally I ended the conversation.

Ive been thinking that the reason they don't want me playing poker for a living is because they want to be able to say they are proud of what I do. They do not have any problems with my playing poker for fun or to supplement my income, but they want me to have a full time job. Is there any way I can convince them that poker:

A) is skill based
B) uses my intelligence to an extent that keeps me satisfied
C) is something I enjoy and am successful at