Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Caro Article

Personally, I love playing against players who have no idea about the math. They may suck out on me from time to time, but over the long run it's +EV for me!

But, I think Caro is being disengenuous. From what others have said (since I'm playing micro limits and NLHE MTT), I'd have to say as the limits increase, almost everyone has an intuitive grasp of the math involved and playing the player (or psychology as Caro puts it) becomes much more important. I think there was loads of this type of info in Theory of Poker.

edit: I'll also be honest and admit I can never finish any book by Caro. I do have his book of tells on my shelf, but havent read it yet. I've tried to read two others and put them down rather quickly. So maybe I'm biased.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Before I read SSH, I was a struggling $2-$4 player. Then the books and forums turned my light bulb on, and I started tearing up. Now I've made hundreds of thousands of dollars and play in the biggest games on the internet."

[/ QUOTE ]

doesn't it suck that you only got like 10 bucks for this? you should start a university, in competition with caro, that charges a hefty tuition + text book fees.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Before I read SSH, I was a struggling $2-$4 player. Then the books and forums turned my light bulb on, and I started tearing up. Now I've made hundreds of thousands of dollars and play in the biggest games on the internet."

[/ QUOTE ]

doesn't it suck that you only got like 10 bucks for this? you should start a university, in competition with caro, that charges a hefty tuition + text book fees.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh.. I did ok from the books. I ain't complaining. Besides, I'm going to make my millions in saline testicle implants for neutered pets.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Besides, I'm going to make my millions in saline testicle implants for neutered pets.

[/ QUOTE ]

need a partner?
Old 10-31-2005, 02:46 PM

Hi PJS:

Nothing is guaranteed since we are just beginning to work with the manuscript and our other printing requirements will also influence the publiction date, but my best guess is February.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 10-31-2005, 03:35 PM

Perhaps writing style has a lot to do with whether or not he means what he says or simply overemphasising his point. I have a hard time believing that someone like Caro doesn't think odds/math matter.

I like some of Caro's material and his cheesy marketing strategy, it's amusing. He should know that the psychological vs. math factor in poker is weighted more on one particular side depending on the situation. That's why poker is so hard, you have to figure out the right mix of concepts to use.

Yet another reason most of these poker magazines are bad, I suppose. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2005, 07:22 PM

I'm so glad you opened my eyes to neuticles. It's my new favorite word. I actually call people neuticles now.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:55 AM

I never know if I should take Caro verbally or look for a deeper meaning behind his words.

Sure, if two players play a mathematical game to perfection they can't beat each other. Another factor has to decide and that's either the cards on a given day or psychology over the long run. If you see it like that, then he could be right. On the other side, every deviation from perfect math should show a loss over time, so he could be wrong.
Maybe he was simply talking about no-limit, where you can set up an opponent by making countless bad plays over the night to trick him to lose all his money in one hand. Sure it takes a fool to fall for that, but that's what psychology is all about - using intellectual dominance to manipulate someone.

If his comment can be interpreted as an insult or a personal attack on David and Mason, I don't know. Actually I wouldn't take it that serious. Caro likes to display himself as some sort of mad genius. Just book stuff like that under madness and you should be fine.

Furthermore I doubt that statements like this will hurt 2+2 sales. Caro is too much of a freak to appeal to the more analytical type of reader and those are the folks who buy 2+2 books after all. Just watch the Caro poker video and you can see what his target audience looks like. It's the type of guy who finds Hellmuth too complicated to read.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If his comment can be interpreted as an insult or a personal attack on David and Mason, I don't know.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read the whole article today in Borders. There's really no question that he's talking about David and Mason.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:20 AM

Mad or not he has some good points in his book of poker tells. But this book should be used as a supplement to books like SSH, HOH 1+2, TOP etc

sunek