Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Correct laydown, or follow the odds?

Final table, 6 or 7 left. I got 20BB's after posting. Good aggressive player raises (16 BB's left) X3 from the button.

He's been raising my blinds 3 times in a row and has folded to my re-raises alot in previous tables. I decide to re-steal with 72o and re raise to 9 BB's.

Button pushes very quick. If I call and lose i'm left with 4 bb's and no chance of winning this. If I fold, I take a big hit and drop to 11 BB's, but I have a shot at it.

I'm getting 1:3.5-4 on this call. Do I have to call here?

(Forget my play up to this point, as it was clearly way too LAGy and just plain stupid)
Old 10-28-2005, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Correct laydown, or follow the odds?

i think you have to call. pretty ugly spot though.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:42 PM

You're a little better thant a 3:1 dog to a generous range given his play (22+,A2s+,KTs+,A2o+,KTo). You are getting only slightly better than that at 3.5:1. This is really close as far as pot odds.

25% of the time you win you get 36BB and a big lead with a great chance at top3 money

75% of the time you lose you're left with 4BB expecting 7th place money.

My preference would be to fold given the action. But I guess it depends on how much you want to gamble.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:45 PM

I was at the table and saw this. I was wondering what you could possibly have that you were folding. Villain showed AA, so it was a good laydown -- sort of.

Don't resteal with 72. It is OK the raise with 72 if villain completed, since part of the idea is to avoid playing the hand. However, reraise with some sort of hand. With the stack sizes reraise allin. If villain is raising every time, he is setting himself up for a resteal push, but waitr ofr atleast an average hand.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:47 PM

I seriously doubt villian's range is that wide. Once he pushed, I put him on 1010+, AQs, AKo/s.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:02 PM

If villain is going to call, he might as well push. If he was raising with junk, he will probably fold, If villain is a good player, his range is large. I think you have to call.

This is why making this play with 72 is so bad. He is raising random hands, so you push with a random hand. If you get called, it is probably close. Why pick such a terrible hand to make a stand with?
Old 10-28-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If villain is going to call, he might as well push. If he was raising with junk, he will probably fold, If villain is a good player, his range is large. I think you have to call.

This is why making this play with 72 is so bad. He is raising random hands, so you push with a random hand. If you get called, it is probably close. Why pick such a terrible hand to make a stand with?

[/ QUOTE ]

No doubt, as I said, it was a terrible play. I make those still from time to time. I played with him for 2 hours before and I really thought he would fold marginal hands (the K10, AX, small pairs).

That said, no doubt it was bad.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're a little better thant a 3:1 dog to a generous range given his play (22+,A2s+,KTs+,A2o+,KTo). You are getting only slightly better than that at 3.5:1. This is really close as far as pot odds.

25% of the time you win you get 36BB and a big lead with a great chance at top3 money

75% of the time you lose you're left with 4BB expecting 7th place money.

My preference would be to fold given the action. But I guess it depends on how much you want to gamble.

[/ QUOTE ]

i didn't realize you'd be that big a dog to that wide a range. i guess you should fold.