Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 01:33 AM

Default Big Draw...To Push or Call??

5/10 NL (full table)

just sat down, no reads. effective stacks = 1000

4 limpers to me and i limp with 6d7d on the button. blinds complete/check.

FLOP 8h 5d Jd (pot = 70)
checked to me, I bet 60. blinds fold and UTG checkraises to 180. folded to me. I call.

does anyone reraise here? I couldnt see any value in raising except to fold out Adxd. no sets are folding. usually i blindly move in with OESF draw to "gamble" but in this case it didnt seem to do any good.

TURN 7c (pot = 430)

Villain bets 400. I...fold?

This is a terrible card for me. I cant see villain paying me off now if i hit my straight. He prolly wasnt paying off much if the flush hit regardless, but now i feel like my implied odds are completely shot.

Anyone play this hand differently?
Old 11-20-2005, 02:07 AM

Default Re: Big Draw...To Push or Call??

You're likely behind pretty far now, and though a 7 probably brings you more outs ( I put him on top two immediately, though I guess he could have another weird two pair if he was in the blind) He's betting a lot here on the turn, and I don't see any way that calling is a good play. I think raising may be more of an option than you think, the 7 bring 9 10 to the nut straight, and if you think he's pretty good, you could convince him that you turned the nuts (and if he calls, you are likely to have very live draws).

However, I do think that you go ahead and make it something like 400- 425 on the flop. This way, you are making him check the turn (if somehow he just calls) and see the free river (which is less expensive than calling the 180+400). Plus, a raise that small might make him just lay it down if he doesn't have a set, or, like you said, you'd be calling the rest of your money off to "gamble" but that can only add to table image (if you win/plan on staying), assuming your bankroll allows you to rebuy, obviously.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
5/10 NL (full table)

FLOP 8h 5d Jd (pot = 70)
checked to me, I bet 60. blinds fold and UTG checkraises to 180. folded to me. I call.

does anyone reraise here? I couldnt see any value in raising except to fold out Adxd. no sets are folding. usually i blindly move in with OESF draw to "gamble" but in this case it didnt seem to do any good.

TURN 7c (pot = 430)

This is a terrible card for me. I cant see villain paying me off now if i hit my straight. He prolly wasnt paying off much if the flush hit regardless, but now i feel like my implied odds are completely shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting hand, I sure wouldn't have played it any differantly. However, I ran a few scenarios on Poker Stove and based on that you could have changed your flop play. One of the few hands you are behind on the flop is Axs. In fact you are a 3 1/2 -1 dog against Ad8d. You are favorite against 66, 55, J8, 85 and AJ. You are behind JJ, but wouldn't you expect a preflop raise with JJ? He was UTG though.

So if you knew that at the table, coming over the top on the flop as the previous poster said might be the best play. Axs, the one hand you actually fear here, might fold to that raise getting only 2 -1. If the others put you all in you are pot committed and still a favotite.

Caution, I have been making a lot of mistakes lately, so double check if interested.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
5/10 NL (full table)

FLOP 8h 5d Jd (pot = 70)

TURN 7c (pot = 430)

[/ QUOTE ]

With that many outs on the turn, you don't really need much in terms of implied odds.

Even if all you have are the non-pairing diamonds and straightening cards, then you've got 13 outs. 13/46 = 2.6:1, and the pot is laying you 2.1:1.

If all your outs are live, the pot is laying you direct odds to draw, since you're 1.3:1 to improve.

If villain has a set, he's absolutely going to pay off your straight.