Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 03:17 PM

Default Re: 10 10 In position with Over card

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, honestly, just give it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right, I should just let go! OK, here goes...deep yoga breath (good air in) exhale (bad air out) Ahhhhhhhh. OK, you are right, that's it, I am done with it.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bad fold?

[/ QUOTE ]
yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you I think I should have called too. However there was a recent discussion on this board regarding AQ vs JJ where 99% of the people on this board said JJ would never call a bet on the turn or river (unless a J hit) if an over card hit the flop and the opponent called the continuation bet on the flop. This struck me as odd, but I am still learning.

[/ QUOTE ]
that thread was a wreck. pay no attention to it.

never forget poker is all about pot odds.
in this case, you each put in 100 preflop and 150 on the flop.
now youve got 500 in the pot and he bets 100.
calling 100 to win 600 there is a no-brainer.
if youre hand is good 1 out of 7, you break even... you will win far mpore than this. dont worry about feeling foolish if hes milking you w/ a J or slowplayed set/big pair... the guy bet only 1/5 of the pot, so, if he was trying to get value out of the winner the jokes on him.

[/ QUOTE ]

in fact against certain players, I could make a case occasionally for a bluff raise on the river to get him to lay down a weak jack. But calling is easily the standad play
Old 11-19-2005, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right, I should just let go! OK, here goes...deep yoga breath (good air in) exhale (bad air out) Ahhhhhhhh. OK, you are right, that's it, I am done with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to note (I hate to belabor this), but I doubt in that other thread, they were referring to people making absurd, unprofitable river bets with AQ.

Just a thought.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to note (I hate to belabor this), but I doubt in that other thread, they were referring to people making absurd, unprofitable river bets with AQ.

Just a thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

In this case if the opponent had AJ (AQ) instead of 99 the value bet on the river (after a check check turn) and call by 10-10 (JJ) would be fairly standard IMO. That is where extra EV comes in.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

In this case if the opponent had AJ (AQ) instead of 99 the value bet on the river (after a check check turn) and call by 10-10 (JJ) would be fairly standard IMO. That is where extra EV comes in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your opinion is wrong. 1/5 the pot is a horrible, horrible bet.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your opinion is wrong. 1/5 the pot is a horrible, horrible bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 1/5 pot looks horribly weak and you are asking for trouble against strong opponents. I stand corected. Now, suppose in this example the opponent instead checked (I said he had 99, he could have AJ) would you value bet 10-10 here on the end after two checks or just check it down with a $500 pot?
Old 11-19-2005, 07:50 PM

Neither the minraise nor the 1/5 pot river bet are intrinsically poor, just usually second-rate choices.

Mark your example is not quite germaine to your prior argument. If anyone elaborates, I will ask quadnines to kill them.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:58 PM

Mark

You are a perfect example of why new posters usually get treated badly. (see barry's thread in Mid/High limit)
Old 11-19-2005, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mark

You are a perfect example of why new posters usually get treated badly. (see barry's thread in Mid/High limit)

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? This a poker forum for poker discussion. If everyone agreed on everything there would be no room for discussion. I think a lot of readers are feeling pretty good about themselves and their poker game after reading how stupid I am. Life's short, lighten up and enjoy yourself.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:12 PM

Seriously man, is this a gimmick account?