Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2005, 10:21 AM

Default Re: Hand to Talk About

Don't forget that if you are ahead there are a bunch of action killers on the turn depending on his hand. If he had a small flush and a 4th diamond comes or the board pairs, he may not pay off a big bet. Getting it all-in on the flop will get more hands to come in that are way behind and might fold to a bad turn, and if he has a flush you have 7 and then 10 outs in a ginormous pot. Plus it also looks like you have AK with a diamond.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:46 AM

the only reasons I can think of for not pushing the flop are allowing him to fold 44/66 (which he may not do anyways), and a diamond turn may net us a free card. both of these things seem to be of dubious value.

--turnipmonster
Old 08-23-2005, 11:51 AM

Is this in Vegas? Where are they getting PLO?
Old 08-23-2005, 12:01 PM

I think given your read, your line is correct here. Obviously this depends on how confident you are in just mucking the turn if it's a diamond.

Basically, there are a lot of safe cards in which your opponent will have to follow through with a bet, allowing you to easily pot commit him with excellent equity in the pot.

Gabe
Old 08-23-2005, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this in Vegas? Where are they getting PLO?

[/ QUOTE ]

wynn spread a 5/10 plo game on friday and sunday
Old 08-23-2005, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the only reasons I can think of for not pushing the flop are allowing him to fold 44/66 (which he may not do anyways), and a diamond turn may net us a free card. both of these things seem to be of dubious value.

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

2800 in pot, 1300 to call. I think you rarely if ever lose 44/66 on the flop.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:16 PM

I have no problem with calling the flop and folding to a diamond turn/opponent bet that prices you out of a fh draw. Very conservative play.

With no diamond, it's a push on the turn.

Pushing the flop can't be too wrong however.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:49 AM

Hi Mason,

I think it's a clear re-raise on the flop, and you will sometimes just have to get it in as a 2:1 dog here. If HE had position, and you thought there was a good chance that he had a flush, then calling would be better. That way, you get the rare chance to make the sweet play of bluffing out a small flush on the turn if a diamond falls. With you in position, though, he's going to bet any turn, including a diamond, and then he'll be committed. So, since I don't think you can fold if a blank falls and he pushes, you might as well try to get it in now, when you'll be a smaller dog in the unlikely event that you're losing now.

I don't get how you narrowed his range to an overpair w/ [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or a small made flush, though. How can he not have the bare A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]? What about a set or 2 pair? When you said you thought he wanted you to fold, did you mean that you thought he saw his bet with JJ as a bluff? I'm pretty sure he thought he had the best hand.

It seems to me your read is too narrow, based on the action up to and including his raise to 600. He called a LP opener for 30 bucks (only 20 to him) with 2000 behind; most players can have any 2 halfway decent cards there. If he thinks you're tight, and thus puts you on a strong hand, then that's all the more reason to loosen up his pre-flop calling standards for a chance to bust you.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The pot is now approximately $1,500 and I have about $1,300 left.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it matters all that much given the stacks, but I think I prefer to just shove it in on the flop. You are probably a 2:1 dog or a 2:1 fave, and I think you are a fave more often. However, you are a huge fave over 44/66 and against hands like that a turn diamond can either cost you a lot in missed action or cause you to make a big mistake. And I hate letting a hand like semibluff AdK see the turn without putting in more. Some opponents will also follow through w/ black overpair on a turn diamond if they don't think you have one.

Of course, that's all counterbalanced somewhat by a guy following through for the rest of his stack on a blank turn with a hand that would have folded to a flop push. But, a bunch of those would have called on the flop anyway.

So, we're back to what I first said. I don't think it really matters all that much, but I prefer sticking it in on the flop for the reasons stated above.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Also, an observant opponent would surely notice the unusual cold call in that situation - if this were for whatever reason a standard play in this (fairly rare) situation, you are going to lose a lot of credibility when you are making a big semibluff. Not a big consideration, but I like to occasionally make a big power play, and as a result I want my occasional big semi bluffs to be indistinguishable from my legitimate hands. Plus, I am pretty sure Diablo is right and you are making a better play just shoving it all in there anyway.