Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Volume I Corrections

[ QUOTE ]
Whether or not there are additional errors is beside the point.

[/ QUOTE ]

What on earth are you talking about? We all appreciate Mason posting the changes they are going to make to Vol. 1. That doesn't mean we can't point out that there are additional errors. They are distinct issues.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:23 PM

Having to publish a full page of errata would be a great humiliation to me. I've read more than fifty books on horseracing, and one of the best of those books had over 36 errors. I couldn't believe it, and this book was written by a mathematician!

In my opinion, the best person to edit a book would be an expert poker player (horse player, etc.) who isn't close to the project. In other words someone who is going to read the work critically, follow and go through all of the examples, and actually double check all of the math problems for themselves, instead of taking the author's work for granted.

It's not that they don't know what they're talking about, because obviously most of the errors are typos and oversights. But for someone to say that their books are the best offered, and then to have to quickly publish a full page of errata followed by a corrected second edition is just beyond the pale.

I haven't read this book, nor do I plan to, but from reading this entire thread herein lies the solution.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Whether or not there are additional errors is beside the point.

[/ QUOTE ]

What on earth are you talking about? We all appreciate Mason posting the changes they are going to make to Vol. 1.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, given the nature of some of the responses (not all, and not neccesarily yours), I'm concerned that Mason will regret posting the corrections. A lot of us have been asking for this, and it really annoys me to see the roasting he's getting in return. No wonder he was reluctant. Posting these corrections was a very professional and brave thing to do, especially given the propensity of some folks to make everything personal.

[ QUOTE ]
That doesn't mean we can't point out that there are additional errors.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never said you couldn't or shouldn't.

[ QUOTE ]
They are distinct issues.

[/ QUOTE ]
Precisely why you should take it up in another thread.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, given the nature of some of the responses (not all, and not neccesarily yours), I'm concerned that Mason will regret posting the corrections. A lot of us have been asking for this, and it really annoys me to see the roasting he's getting in return. No wonder he was reluctant. Posting these corrections was a very professional and brave thing to do, especially given the propensity of some folks to make everything personal.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can't argue with that.