Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2004, 10:41 AM

Default I was the fish!

So I played live NL for the first time yesterday. Got broke on a stupid, stupid play with AJ early on, rebought and ultimately ended up $1 for the session. Looking back on it, though, I only felt confident about what I was doing about half the time. I don't play ring NL much online, and clearly my NL game is at the infant level.

Here's a hand where I was lost -- I felt like I was either way ahead or way behind and didn't know which. I had a plan, but it did NOT feel good at all.

It's 2/4, $200 buy in at Mandalay Bay. I have ~200, villain has about ~300. We're 8-handed.

I pick up K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in MP2. MP1 limps, I raise to $15. all fold to CO, who raises to $30. MP1 calls, I call. 3 to the flop for ~$95.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

MP1 checks, I check, CO bets $30, MP1 folds, I call.

Turn (~$150): 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check, CO Bets $60, I call.

River (~$270): 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check intending to call any bet because I have only about $90 left and I'd be getting 4-1. All the same, I'm thinking "don't go broke with top pair...don't go broke with top pair".

Please -- let me have it.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:23 AM

Default Re: I was the fish!

Well, I will give it a try. Keep in mind that this is going off of no reads, and maybe you want to donate some reads on CO if they are relevant. First, I don't like the raise from MP with KQo. I would limp from there if anything. When re-raised I would also fold this hand, especially given that there is still someone behind you to act, so you are stuck between two people, and likely one or both of them have you beat at this point, since one is re-raising your ~4XBB raise and the other limps and then calls the re-raise (this of course you don't know yet). You should let this hand go here for sure.

Given that you see the flop and hit TPGK, I think you need to make a move on this pot at some point, whether it be betting into the pot or check-raising his 1/3 pot bet. This will help you find out where you stand, and can help avoid having to call down every street clueless as to where you stand. I would like to hear others' opinions as to which is preferable here, but I think you have to realize that you are going to be facing bets on every street and you should try to make a move to take the pot or know that you are beat and get out without too much harm.

- ToT
Old 12-28-2004, 11:47 AM

Getting like 6-1 I wouldn't fold preflop -- but you have to realize that if you don't, you are going to to the felt when you hit your hand. Since AK is a likely holding here I would be even more likely to go to the felt hitting a Q than a K here. If he bets big on the end though, I have to give this one up.

If I were determined to call any bet I would have bet $50 on the end and called anything he raised.

EDIT: Saying "going to the felt" was wrong. I should have said "played your hand strongly" on the flop. You definately need to raise this flop because you don't want to be sitting there calling off all your money with no idea where you are. I might like a stop-and-go even more, calling the $30 on the flop and then leading for $50 on the turn. If he calls that, you are done with the hand and have plenty of money left.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:00 PM

I don't like going to the mat with two cards that could easily be dirty. Unless that miracle flop comes I am very uncomfortable here. Given his call and the flop that came, do you make a play for this pot here and if yes, how? BTW, your patented "Wayfare" overbets are making me a very happy man these days. Not that you are the first to make the move, but I picked it up after reading a few of your posts that prescribed it. Thanks.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:02 PM

I am happy "he move" is making you happy. It's really incredible how well it works.

I fear that if enough people do it, it will stop working. But I'll be done with poker before that happens.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:08 PM

Dont raise KQ preflop unless you are on the button trying to steal.

Fold to the raise preflop unless your reads tell you to do otherwise. You have to read the clues from preflop action. Most players are not going to raise a raise without AQ/AK/QQ/KK/AA in a full ring NL game of these stacks.

Bet the flop. If he raises, think about folding. If you dont fold then, fold your hand to the next big bet if it doesnt improve. Rule of thumb when you are playing non-drawing hands - raise or fold!
Old 12-28-2004, 06:28 PM

Wow, you raised to $15 preflop with K Q . Wow. I rarely raise with KQ and would never call a reraise. I play NL exclusively. Was this norm ? Blinds are 2/4 and he raised you to $30 ? Jesus. He's either got AK, AQ, A A, KK, QQ . All of which are dangerous to your hand. If he has A K, you are ahead but you are beat by a lot of hands. I don't like KQ that much. This sounds like AA or KK or QQ to me. What did he have ?