Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 03:49 PM

Default To All 2+2ers around Austin

Im gonna be moving to San Marcos to go to Texas State in the spring, I'll be there in Dec., and I dont know any cool places in Austin/surrounding area. SO! Im wanting to know if we cuold get some type of get together in that area, Im down to buy some drinks and [censored].

We could do some of the Crimson Challenges I wanna do then as well. If not, can yall tell me some of the cool [censored] to do around Austin?

thanks.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Re: To All 2+2ers around Austin

It's really hard not to find something cool to do in Austin. I was there and went out on a Tuesday and found 6 or 7 bars that were full of people partying on a Tuesday, and school wasn't even in session. You can start on 6th Street.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:57 PM

Yeah, my cousin that lives in South Austin was telling me that 6th street has more bars than all of d-town houston.

Im not a huge clubbing/party guy. I meant more of the badass restaurants and stuff like that. Also, I ride bikes, freestyle on street, and offroad, so Im lookin for places to do that.

The only thing I'd normally be worried about, an mj hookup, is taken care of.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:21 PM

for biking you can check out barton springs with the mountain bike or hit up 620 for some good road biking. As far a restraunts go head out to lake travis and try carlos and charlies or the oasis for a good time.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
for biking you can check out barton springs with the mountain bike or hit up 620 for some good road biking. As far a restraunts go head out to lake travis and try carlos and charlies or the oasis for a good time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the Oasis still open? It might smell a little smokey.

Eat TexMex at Chuy's.

Head out to Enchanted Rock and bike in that area.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Eat TexMex at Chuy's.

[/ QUOTE ]
mmmmmmm, this is the correct dining answer.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:44 PM

yea oasis reopened the next weekend and I belive they are fully rebuilt now.

I never cared to much for the biking around enchanted rock but I guess each his own.

I'll second chuys I almost forgot about that place but it is awesome and also try some rudys bar-b-q
Old 11-09-2005, 03:58 PM

6th st., great live music and bars.

that's about it.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We could do some of the Crimson Challenges I wanna do then as well. If not, can yall tell me some of the cool [censored] to do around Austin?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are bars and clubs on 6th street, and also in the Wharehouse District (roughly Colorado, 4th, and 5th). There's maybe 50-60 along 6th street. Dance clubs are often on side streets, tho there's a cluster of five at Congress and 5th. Note that ALL of this stuff is in walking distance -- less than a 1/2 mile from a couple of the parking garages.

Fine restaurants downtown include Louie's 106 (106 E 6th), Mezzaluna, a few other local faves, plus the local Ruth's Chris. Salt Lick (BBQ) is about 30min south of town; Stubb's is on east 8th (7th?) @ Red River; Rudy's has fivish outlets in the 'burbs. Good sushi: Musashino or Uchi. I'm not a big fan of Sullivan's for steak, but it does good business (it's also a good place to find $$$ hookers -- or so I hear).

Sports on Lake Travis if that's your thing. I don't mountain bike or hike, but enough other people do that you can prolly find something that way, including a place to rent bikes. Caving is good hereabouts, and I've seen strong indications of scuba too, possibly related to caving even.

Alamo Drafthouse for movies. The one downtown has cheesy flicks, special events, cult classics, and old faves; the others have first-run films. Great for watching that new comedy that you have to see but you know it'll suck, so get drunk!

There's some graveyard p***r about, but I haven't chased that down.

Austin stripclubs are generally high-mileage. Dunno where Ice Bats hockey happens, but it's in season. I would think one could tour the capitol but I haven't done that in twenty years. UT games are a zoo, of course. I bet there's some kind of art [censored] here and there but I can't even pretend to care. Central Market (Lamar @ 38th-ish) for a grand selection of groceries. Whole Foods (Lamar @ 5th) for granola. The Arboretum (area, 183 @ Mopac) for schmancy shops, bookstores, Dave n Busters, etc. If you need to hit a mall for, you know, mall stuff, try south 360 @ Mopac (NW corner, Barton Springs), 620 @ 183 (SW corner, Lakeline), and 35 @ 290 (55th-ish, NW corner, Highland).

Lots of live music. Pick up a Chronicle (www.auschron.com) for live music acts, events, as well as general announcements for all of this other stuff.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alamo Drafthouse for movies.

[/ QUOTE ]

gold.