Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Group 3 - Four vs. Five
Batman (4) 102 57.63%
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (5) 75 42.37%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2005, 12:37 AM

Default Utilizing names in color in MTT

Many of you might have noticed that there are (or at least were) quite a few forum members who had their names in different colors. This wasn't happening so much in MTT as in some of the other forums. Essentially, moderators have the ability to do this. However, it grew out of hand and we collectively decided to revert back to normal.

I do think that a special color could be used advantageously. Specifically, I was thinking that we could put certain posters recognized by the forum as being very valuable and who contribute great insight on an ongoing basis. This would make their posts jump out so they were definitely not missed.

I'd like to get some feedback on this. I'm more interested in a poll then posts. Please only respond via a post if you have something insightful to add. Don't just say you like or dislike the idea. That should be done via the poll.

Please note that I'm looking for feedback here. The final decision will be made by the moderator group and the admins.

If you say "No, we shouldn't limit the number", that means you want as many people as we decide. Even if you say you don't like the idea, answer the rest of the questions as if we go ahead with it.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:43 AM

Default Re: Utilizing names in color in MTT

The problem is this. How will this be measured?
For instance, some posters have extremely valuable advice..but rarely post(gigabet, colson, strassa)

Some posters never shutup. Their advice is okay, but may seem more valuable to those who occasionally post.

Also. My name is black. Go me. Black should be the new color so I look important, even if I'm not dubbed important. =)
Old 10-21-2005, 12:44 AM

My color was taken away!! NO!!!!
Old 10-21-2005, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also. My name is black.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also. My name is black.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rub it in beyotch.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:47 AM

I dont think that any members besides moderators should have colored named or stand out from the crowd.

I especially dont want "good" posters getting colored names, that to me would discourage thoughtful, debatable, threads. Also a lot of the good posters on this board have their own particular style and I think all posters should find who's advice their own style adhere's too. There are a lot of posters on this forum who post very seldomely however 100% of their posts are gold. Theres already people who generally listen to whoever has the highest post count, i used to do this myself. Then there are posters like me who never shut up.

my .02
Old 10-21-2005, 12:55 AM

I like the idea, and always wondered what the colors were about (assumed that mods had a certain color, and the other ones wasn't so sure about).

I'd say trust the mods for the most part, but there are certain posters who I always look at their posts and feel like they always seem to contribute (McMelchior for example, he don't post as much as I'd like, but when he does, it is always a problem that has me thinking, woodguy is another poster whose opinion I highly respect, and exitonly has always been a favorite of mine, just to name a few). But for the most part, I think that quality of posts should be considered well ahead of quantity.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont think that any members besides moderators should have colored named or stand out from the crowd.

I especially dont want "good" posters getting colored names, that to me would discourage thoughtful, debatable, threads. Also a lot of the good posters on this board have their own particular style and I think all posters should find who's advice their own style adhere's too. There are a lot of posters on this forum who post very seldomely however 100% of their posts are gold. Theres already people who generally listen to whoever has the highest post count, i used to do this myself. Then there are posters like me who never shut up.

my .02

[/ QUOTE ]

i voted "no" for many of the same reasons ... also, despite best intentions, i ultimately see this devolving into nothing more than a popularity contest when all is said and done.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:25 AM

I voted Yes/No more than 10/Have a thread/Quarterly, but I'm having second thoughts about the last two.

Having a limited number of highlighted posters is good because:

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] too many highlighted names would be overwhelming and would defeat the purpose of the highlighting IMHO
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] some of the skilled posters go off on a bunch of tangents that don't need to be highlighted so limiting the number allows the mods to exclude those posters without offending anyone

Having the mods decide is good because:

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] we eliminate the popularity problems associated with voting and/or discussing in a thread
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] the list could be continuously updated since no vote or discussion would be necessary to bump someone in or out

Later,
Che
Old 10-21-2005, 02:40 AM

I don't know if it is possible given the software, but what about making it like the poker sites notes system where each user gets to assign colors to other people's names when they read it.

So if the posters I like to read I mark black to stand out and I like to read exitonly, but someone else uses red for posters to ignore and doesn't like exitonly then when I browse exitonly is black and when they browse exitonly is red. I'd still reserve a color for moderators/2+2 owners that is the same for everyone reading.