Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2005, 10:59 PM

Default 1010 sets 2/3 hands and busted

this is a tourney hand but maybe i played it two agg after the flop i dano. after the flop i had a 57% chance of winning. i didnt think anyone had a hand that strong .. but did i over play 1010 early in a tourney 2k players .. 2 hands b4 this i had 1010 hit a set with 3 flush cards on board i folded after making a pot sized bet when the turn came another flush card.. should i have bet the pot after the flop or was it correct to go all in this early in a tourney?

boozer_187 is at seat 0 with 615.
mctrahan is at seat 1 with 1780.
hotelcarlos is at seat 2 with 1455.
tony63 is at seat 3 with 1545.
treeofwisdom7 is at seat 4 with 1170.
pitgator is at seat 5 with 1490.
EXTREME_POKER is at seat 6 with 1485.
LilAngelDot is at seat 7 with 2655.
chuck20000 is at seat 8 with 1480.
ewl2005 is at seat 9 with 1325.
The button is at seat 2.

tony63 posts the small blind of 10.
treeofwisdom7 posts the big blind of 20.

treeofwisdom7: Ts Tc

Pre-flop:

pitgator folds. EXTREME_POKER folds. LilAngelDot
calls.
chuck20000 folds.
ewl2005 calls.
boozer_187 folds.
mctrahan calls.
hotelcarlos
calls.
tony63 calls.
treeofwisdom7 checks.

Flop (board: Qd 4s Td):

tony63 checks.
treeofwisdom7 goes all-in for 1150.
LilAngelDot folds.
ewl2005 calls.
mctrahan folds.
hotelcarlos folds.
tony63 folds.

Tournament all-in showdown -- players show:

treeofwisdom7 shows Ts Tc.
ewl2005 shows Kd Jd.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:01 PM

Default Re: 1010 sets 2/3 hands and busted

I can't understand anything about this post. What does your title mean? Why did you go all in for 1150 over a pot of blinds? What is going on?
Old 05-06-2005, 11:07 PM

Yea i don't understand that either.. You want to value bet that set here or go for a C/R

Blackjack
Old 05-06-2005, 11:15 PM

Two calls to an all-in, neither from a crippled stack, and both a flush and a straight draw on board. Ouch, that's scary.

You're still almost always ahead with trips, though, and could probably have gotten some more value out of this hand by making a smaller bet encouraging people to call, in most instances. Missed draws and hands like KQs and AQo could make money for you here, and so could QJs and QJo, with a more modest bet of 150 or 200, and you might even get some of them to raise it and reraise each other. Then on a missed turn you could drive the rest of your chips in.

Just an opinion, but I think you deserve to make more money with trips than you're usually going to get by going all-in UTG+1 on the flop here, so it's worth the risk playing it a little cooler.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:23 PM

sorry if its hard to understand but my hand converter isnt working for somereason. yah i had a set against a st8 flush draw but i knew i had the best hand and thought i had better odds but i knew i would get a caller if i went all in *or at least believed because im in such a low limit*

so maybe i should have bet less and if a flush or st8 hits fold to a big bet?
Old 05-06-2005, 11:25 PM

As other people said, you have a really strong hand here and want to try to get a few more chips from your opponents than you are likely to get by going all in. Make a bet about 2/3 the size of the pot on the flop. If you get raised (keep your fingers crossed) then it's probably about right to go all in.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:48 AM

I wouldn't fold to another club or another straight card; I'd represent that either I just hit a flush myself, that I was bluffing I had one, or that my hand was so strong I didn't care. Weak flushes and straights might just call along a turn and river bet without costing you too much, and you still have a chance to make your full house. Also, some of the possible flush or straight cards will likely make someone a strong two pair, setting the hook deep for them to pay you a lot of money.

Because of that, any halfway scary card on the turn means you're likely to be called or, if you check, bet into whether you're ahead or behind. A good player probably wouldn't raise you with a good straight or flush, but might do so with the ignorant end of one to drive you out in case you hadn't already completed your own, possibly better draw; and also just to extract some value from you if they thought you might be a big pair or two-pair hand.

At any rate, even with a club or another straight card coming out on the turn, you still might very well have the best hand. I wouldn't fold it here, especially since the river may yet fill you up. And if it does, it might give someone trips, a straight, or a flush, and make you a lot of money.

Overall, it's no fun to face a straight or flush, but I usually have to see it.

I'm very new to both no limit and SNG's, though, so perhaps some of our more experienced players have a different take on things. My perspective admittedly is probably partly tainted by my background in limit ring games, where people drawing out on you can be painful, but doesn't knock you out of the game completely and forever.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sorry if its hard to understand but my hand converter isnt working for somereason. yah i had a set against a st8 flush draw but i knew i had the best hand and thought i had better odds but i knew i would get a caller if i went all in *or at least believed because im in such a low limit*

so maybe i should have bet less and if a flush or st8 hits fold to a big bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

it's kinda hard to put a villan on 14 outs on the flop. Two to a suit: bet enuff to give them incorrect odds to draw to the flush. The rest is your destiny.