Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2005, 02:31 PM

Default Out-of-position gutshot 2nd-nut flush on the river

Party $100 PL Omaha

Villain has $140, I have everybody covered with $180

Dealt to Hero [ 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ]
4 fold, Hero calls [$1]. CO calls [$1]. Villain calls [$1]. UTG folds. SB calls [$0.50]. BB checks.

** Flop ** [ Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ]
2 check, Hero bets [$4.75], CO calls [$4.75]. Villain calls [$4.75]. 2 fold

** Turn ** [ 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ]
Hero bets [$18.30], CO folds, Villain calls [$18.30].

** River ** [ T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ]
Hero bets [$30], Villain is all-In.

It's around $95 more for me to call. The all-in at the river really sucks. Should I have just check-called or check-folded the river instead of making the "blocking" bet? How are the other streets? My read on the villain is that he is tight/passive preflop but aggressive and competent on the latter streets.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:40 PM

Default Re: Out-of-position gutshot 2nd-nut flush on the river

I'm inclined to call. Villain is going to have a hard time giving you credit for a flush and could easily be moving in on you with a lower flush, a broadway, or worse. I think the river bet is fine. You will get called by ATJ with no diamonds often enough for it to be worthwhile.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:46 PM

I like betting out on the flop. The pot bet on the turn is good too. I occasionally might underbet the pot here, depending on the player. If he wants to get aggressive with a draw on the turn, I'll stack him if I get the chance.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:02 PM

I definitely check-call this river. I put him on AJT with the diamond flush, the question is - is it the Ace diamond flush or the jack diamond flush. If he is sound on the latter streets as you say, he wouldn't have called the $18 turn bet and then raised all in on the river with anything less, but if you check-call here, hopefully if he has the ace diamond flush he will only place a "milking" bet down.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:53 PM

Your river bet is fine. Most likely your opp made a straight and will probably pay you off.

You can call an opp who doesn't need the nuts to raise. Could have J high flush, straight or lone Ace.

You need a 1/3 or better chance your opp does not have the nut flush for your call to be correct, as you are getting around 2-1 for your call.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:49 PM

Given the diamonds came runner runner I am calling and probably getting really bitter when I get shown the nuts
Old 09-15-2005, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My read on the villain is that he is tight/passive preflop but aggressive and competent on the latter streets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on how much you trust your read on him, I feel pretty good about calling this bet. This looks like a bet he doesn't want you to call, and he's making it because he has good reason to believe you can't.

"Aggressive" - implies he'd make this bet to push you off of your obvious trips and possible non-nut flush.

"Competent" - implies he's capable of making this move holding the naked Ad. And if he does hold the nut flush, he's probably going to make a raise that you have to call crying.

Given that the pot is offering you 2:1, I think you have more than sufficient odds to make this call. There is a strong possibility he's got a naked Ace of diamonds, a lower flush, and/or Broadway, and he's assuming you can't call his bet with anything you're holding.

I probably play the River in a similar manner, expecting that I will get calls from Broadway and lower flushes a significant percentage of the time to make it profitable.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:28 PM

Looks like a grit your teeth and click call situation to me.