Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2005, 04:19 AM

Default Good TT hand to discuss

Flop action and turn action debatable. This is a loose-passive table with 4-6 per flop. Button is loose-passive preflop and aggressive post flop--he'll bet any 2 if checked to on any street. All others in the hand are LP-P. I just took a big pot off the button and I have been raising a lot at this table.

Party 2/4 (10 handed)
Hero is BB with T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB completes, Hero raises, all call.

Flop (5 handed, 10 SB): 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks, Hero checks...

Well?

M
Old 08-27-2005, 04:23 AM

Default Re: Good TT hand to discuss

No, bet.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:25 AM

What does betting out accomplish, and is there any other possible way to maximize expectation here?

M
Old 08-27-2005, 04:29 AM

What does betting out accomplish???

It shows you the strength of your hand, the entire point of betting out.

If they raise you, you are most likely beat.

If they call, they have a low kicker with a J or are on some type of straight draw.

If they fold, you win.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:41 AM

True, that if I bet out and am raised, I am most likely beaten by at least a J. And if I'm just called, I'm probably ahead. But right now, I see a big pot developing-already 10 SBs. My concern is not so much IDing my hand, but maximizing my expectation. In other words, I want to try to find a way to win this pot. Betting out simply does not accomplish that. A passive J could raise or just call down. The other passive players will likely call my flop bet and probably my turn bet with hands such as KT, Q8, T7, Ax, as well as Kx and Qx. That leaves more than a third of the deck that can beat me on the turn or river.

What I decided to do was check and hope that the BTN would bet when checked to. Then I could raise and isolate him, getting rid of the above stated hands. I thought there was a good chance that it would be checked to him as only a decent J or better would bet before him. Even then, he might raise and allow me to 3-bet and still isolate him.

It was checked to him on the BTN, he bet, SB called, I raised, everyone else folded, he called, SB called. I went on to win the pot against his pair of 9's.

My point in this thread is not that betting out is wrong. It was my gut reaction to bet right away. It's like an insta-bet for me most of the time. But in this case, at this table, on this hand, I thought a c/r would do better to increase my winning chances.

It still may be better to bet into this field, but I thought at least the thought process I had would be interesting to consider.

M
Old 08-27-2005, 04:57 AM

You dont seem to realize that so many bad things can happen when you check. You have no idea who is going to bet if anyone bets at all. If it gets checked around that would be ridiculously awful.

Betting out can cause people to fold, hopefully lone overcards, maybe a smaller pair, it doesnt matter as long as they fold. Yeah you might get raised and yeah people are probably going to call but that's ok too because you still have outs to improve.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
True, that if I bet out and am raised, I am most likely beaten by at least a J. And if I'm just called, I'm probably ahead. But right now, I see a big pot developing-already 10 SBs. My concern is not so much IDing my hand, but maximizing my expectation. In other words, I want to try to find a way to win this pot. Betting out simply does not accomplish that. A passive J could raise or just call down. The other passive players will likely call my flop bet and probably my turn bet with hands such as KT, Q8, T7, Ax, as well as Kx and Qx. That leaves more than a third of the deck that can beat me on the turn or river.

What I decided to do was check and hope that the BTN would bet when checked to. Then I could raise and isolate him, getting rid of the above stated hands. I thought there was a good chance that it would be checked to him as only a decent J or better would bet before him. Even then, he might raise and allow me to 3-bet and still isolate him.

It was checked to him on the BTN, he bet, SB called, I raised, everyone else folded, he called, SB called. I went on to win the pot against his pair of 9's.

My point in this thread is not that betting out is wrong. It was my gut reaction to bet right away. It's like an insta-bet for me most of the time. But in this case, at this table, on this hand, I thought a c/r would do better to increase my winning chances.

It still may be better to bet into this field, but I thought at least the thought process I had would be interesting to consider.

M

[/ QUOTE ]

I like adjustments like this. Good poker, sir.

You really aren't getting ANY information out of the LPP's anyway (if you lead).
Old 08-27-2005, 05:04 AM

I can concede that in this case, against this table, perhaps c/r was the right move,

but if you consider the long run (Which we all should), I think overtime you win a LOT of bets by betting out here.

Cheers,
fox
Old 08-27-2005, 05:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You dont seem to realize that so many bad things can happen when you check. You have no idea who is going to bet if anyone bets at all. If it gets checked around that would be ridiculously awful.

Betting out can cause people to fold, hopefully lone overcards, maybe a smaller pair, it doesnt matter as long as they fold. Yeah you might get raised and yeah people are probably going to call but that's ok too because you still have outs to improve.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Our read is that it will not get checked around.

2. It's probably safe to fold to an open-bet from two LPP's (given that we raised PF)

3. Check-raising BTN now is probably the only chance we have at protecting our hand against the 2 LPPs.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:32 AM

With the read provided the c/r is best IMO.
The long run should be thought of in the same line, the long run for this kind a tablesetting suggest c/r as most profitable. Whereas for a different table a bet might be most profitable. I like the line taken [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]