Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 03:30 AM

Default Bankroll questions, semi-new limit player

I play mostly NL Tourneys..i just cashed $2600 on a $11 rebuys on Stars the other night.

I want to start grinding limits..I cashed out 1600 and left $1000 in my account.

What is the proper play, here? I am a pretty solid player with a good grasp of most things, but I want to confirm with the big boys..

Do I grind it out at 1/2 until I hit 1200 and then move to 2/4, or is 1000 close enough to start at 2/4 for almost 300BB.

Also, do I 2-table? I've had experience with it before, but I don't know if it's appropriate to buy in $150-200 and 2-table 2/4 with a 1k bankroll.

Advice is appreciated in advance,

Cheers,
fox
Old 08-26-2005, 03:32 AM

Default Re: Bankroll questions, semi-new limit player

Ooops..perhaps this should be in Microlimits.

I might be more of a donk then I thought.

Oh well, posted here.

Sorry.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:41 AM

Strictly bankroll-wise, $1000 is plenty for 2/4, since $1000 isn't all that much to worry about, unless you're a kid. You should probably start smaller, though, just to build your skill level. Being good at tourney's doesn't make you good at ring games.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:51 AM

Start with 1/2. It's a bigger adjustment going from NL to limit than many people think (even bigger going from NL tournament to limit ring), and it's going to take time for you to make the changes necessary to win at LHE. 1/2 will be great for that, as you'll often be up against loose/passives who will never fold a draw, which in turn will help you out by teaching you how to value bet & read opponents for draws in this game.

I would recommend staying at 1/2 for around 10k hands, or at least 5k, regardless of how quickly you build your bankroll to $1200.

Start out 1-tabling. As your postflop decisions become more instinctual, then you can think about adding a second table.

Oh, and $100 is plenty enough for a buyin at 2/4. There's nothing wrong with $150, either, but 25 big bets is the generally accepted norm.

BTW, congrats on your big tourney win! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2005, 04:03 AM

Thanks GOB and Harv.

I'm thinking also of investing in Poker Tracker so I know what I'm doing, but I've used the trial before, and frankly, it seems like a TON of information, all of which I'm sure is useful.

I would like to think that I could parlay this 1000 into 10,000 by the end of the year and never have to deposit online again.

To be honest, I'm baffled as to why I don't do well in limit..believe me, I win a ton of NL sng's, but suffer horribly in a 2 hour session of 3/6 online or live. It's very confusing to me, any suggestions?

Besides read 'Small Stakes Hold 'Em,', which is on my list. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers,
fox
Old 08-26-2005, 05:26 AM

Check out GameTime as a complement to Poker Tracker, really nice to have all the info you want right on the board. Note that you can configure which info you want. I usually want VPIP/Raise PreFlop/Agression Factor.

When I want to play at my best level, I usually only single-table, unless I notice that there are a lot of fish, then I may add a table. If I multi-table (for instance when working on a bonus), I usually step down a step as my win rate is usually reduced somewhat.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i just cashed $2600 on a $11 rebuys on Stars the other night...

Do I grind it out at 1/2 until I hit 1200 and then move to 2/4, or is 1000 close enough to start at 2/4 for almost 300BB.

[/ QUOTE ]
Things may have changed since I last played there but, the 1/2 and 2/4 LIMIT games on Stars are really bad. Not a good place to learn how to play. I'm not sure so maybe someone who plays there can verify this for me. I've been coaching a friend of mine lately. He started on PokerStars at the .02/.04 game - the smallest around that I knew of. He recently made the jump up to the .5/1 game and I had him move enough money to play a few tables over to Party.

If you've never played limit before start at the .5/1 or lower and post in the micros. You'll learn a lot and probably (with your good-sized BR) move up fast. I'm not saying that you need to play a lot at those limits but, put in a few thousand hands. It will help you get comfortable with limit. It will also be kinda cool to see the morphing of playing styles that occurs as you move up in limits.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Check out GameTime as a complement to Poker Tracker

[/ QUOTE ]
This is pretty outdated I think. Poker Ace HUD is the way to go.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:15 PM

So, does everyone think I should move the 1k to PartyPoker and play 1/2 there?

Can low limit be profitable on Stars?
Old 08-26-2005, 10:09 PM

ttt for an answer to my last q