Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 01:29 PM

Default Air America Going Down the Tubes

Although a conservative,I would like an alternate political voice, but the blunt truth is that Air America is on life support.

Why is this?

Is it that middle-class America is comfortable and doesn't want any significant change?
Old 11-04-2005, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Air America Going Down the Tubes

Conservative talk radio gets listeners because it's an alternative to the mainstream media.

Liberal talk radio has trouble getting listeners because it's just a louder echo of the mainstream media. Your average potential listener is choosing between many different outlets to get their liberal slanted information, Air America being just one of them.

It's merely an effect of supply and demand. There is much more supply of liberal information than conservative information.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:03 AM

According to Arbitron, Air America is doing well in LA and Portland, where it is 5th overall. However, in New York, it recently was at a 1.3 share of the audience, or 24th in the market. WABC, which is home to Rush and Hannity, is third in the market. I frequently hear that the old WLIB Carribean-themed station had a bigger share than the current Air America format.

In regards to the statements by some that conservatives win the market because conservatives are dumb, gimme a break. They win because they are compelling. Thats why shows like Hannity get so many liberal callers, because they make for good radio. People aren't stupid because they are conservative or liberal. They are stupid because they are stupid. Also, it is my belief that more college educated people are liberal because the faculty is predominantly liberal, not because liberals are smarter.

Finally, the BBC is incredibly left-wing biased. Former president Clinton and P.M. Tony Blair have both critcized the BBc for overly biased reporting on the war in Iraq and President Bush. Also, the head of the BBC resigned over their report that the Blair administration was responsible for the death of weapons expert David Kelly
Old 11-06-2005, 03:14 PM

After reading your posts and checking other sites, I agree that Air America is not "going down the tubes".

But with all the Bush/Republican problems you would think it would be thriving.

Could it be that major advertisers shun it because if liberalism really took control, they would be more heavily regulated/taxed?
Old 11-04-2005, 01:36 PM

It comes down to overload. When you can get the liberal spin on CBS, NBC, CNN, ABC, etc. who needs radio too?

Besides NPR has been providing solid liberal radio for decades.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What? MSM is much more liberal than NPR. I love NPR. I also listen to C-SPAN in the car.

-Gryph
Old 11-04-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What? MSM is much more liberal than NPR. I love NPR. I also listen to C-SPAN in the car.

-Gryph

[/ QUOTE ]

NPR is REALLY liberal. That is why I find it funny that they had to go out and "create" a liberal radio network, they already had one.

I wish I could get C-SPAN in my car.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:07 AM

No basis in reality.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:45 PM

The average talk radio listener is of elderly, poorly educated and conservative. Air America's core demographic is 18-35, well educated and liberal, so I think that there just aren't enough listeners out there for them.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The average talk radio listener is of elderly, poorly educated and conservative. Air America's core demographic is 18-35, well educated and liberal, so I think that there just aren't enough listeners out there for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Source please? I'd like to see this. I'm not disputing it. I doubt it, yes. It just piques my innate curiosity.

ty