Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2005, 08:40 PM

Default Playing the SB after an idiot raises from the CO/Button . . .

This just happened twice in a game I was in.

Relatively loose-passive (certainly passive preflop. Lots of open-limping). Guy immediately to my right seems to think he doesn't suck, loves to be aggressive, at least pf. Caught him raising after a limper with something KT or less (he ended up folding), and raised from the button after two limpers with T9s. Ditto stealing from the button. Clearly marginal . . .

Given this, after one limper or two, then facing his raise, what do you 3-bet/coldcall from the SB with? I almost did so with KJo but resisted the urge . . . and then watched myself miss out on hitting the nut straight while he would have hit a crap two pair with his T9s. (I guess he likes that hand.) So I'm having folder's remorse [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Seriously, though, given I have little respect for/little fear of the passive players, and he's button raising with a WIDE range of hands, anything wrong with 3-betting from the SB with KJo?

What other hands do you think it'd be good to do so with? Can't say at the moment whether it's likely that the limpers would call two cold back to them. Maybe, maybe not.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:12 PM

Default Re: Playing the SB after an idiot raises from the CO/Button . . .

dont fold
Old 03-12-2005, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
dont fold

[/ QUOTE ]

Well argued. Any poker players want to comment?
Old 03-12-2005, 05:09 AM

If it is a weak raiser I prefer to just call with hands like KJo A9o and maybe some suited stuff like QTs JTs.

These hands arent going to win unimproved so you dont really want to invest anymore especially being out of position.

I dont mind 3 betting 77 and ATo because you are more likely to win unimproved.
Old 03-12-2005, 05:20 AM

whats your party ID, Ill happily play at your tables?

That goes for anyone else on this forum, let us know your IDS.
Old 03-12-2005, 05:27 AM

Your tendancy to put in three bets preflop should mainly be controlled by the 1-2 limpers and the BB at this point. Players who limp/fold when it is two bets back to them will obviously lead to me three betting to isolate/create dead money in a pot.
Most of your SH opponents aren't going to be like that- and three betting KJo out of position isn't going to leave you with easy decisions post flop- not to mention that the preflop raiser isa marginally bad one, as opposed to a horiible on. If T9s is the lower end of what he will raise you really aren't dominating his range of hands that well.
\
Old 03-12-2005, 05:28 AM

I'm no expert, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt. First of all, your villain's play is not that bad. Particularly if the limpers will tend to check-fold unimproved on the flop and just check-call when they make a weak hand. His position allows him to extract a maximum when ahead and a minimum when behind.

How much you should open in SB -- and clearly you should open up somewhat -- depends a lot on how he plays postflop. He's likely going to keep firing on the flop and turn. I'd be more inclined to overcall with a hand like KJo, because you don't really want to isolate your out of position against this guy.

His aggressive play, however, makes your positional disadvantage somewhat less. Because you will often get the opportunity to force the field to call two cold. And you will often be able to choose whether that comes on the flop or the turn. If the other players are passive, you can also safely peel off a card on the flop a lot of the time. You may also be able to jam your draws on the flop by betting out and getting raised by the aggressive button.

I think this is a situation where you want to open up, but I wouldn't rush into playing a lot more hands than you are comfortable with. Try to look for good opportunties to play back at the aggressive player. And you absolutely must 3-bet all of your good hands preflop, as the pot is already big and you don't mind bloating it with good equity.

When you loosen up preflop, you should loosen up postflop a little as well. You'll often come across situations where it is close whether to take one off on the flop or not; against some more passive opponents, it's often right to fold if you're not sure. But in this instance, you should be much less concerned about drawing slim, since button will bet a wide range of hands, and you will be getting better implied odds (again, assuming button tends to be aggressive on all streets).

I think KJ, AT, are good hands to play here. Whether to call or 3-bet depends on the game texture.

Probably it is more important to push back harder with your quality hands. Unless the button is a good postflop player, he will likely make some mistakes from being overaggressive.

I'd be more inclined to raise KJo if I planned to stay at the table a while. You want him pushing back at you when you pick up a big hand in the SB.

Sorry my thoughts are kind of incoherent. In my defense, it is 4:30 AM.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
whats your party ID, Ill happily play at your tables?

That goes for anyone else on this forum, let us know your IDS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I've seen your "challenges" before . . .
Old 03-12-2005, 05:49 PM

Can you guess which poster?

[ QUOTE ]
I think challenging to HUs is very childish...

[/ QUOTE ]

Answer is here.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:06 PM

What's your party ID excel? [be honest].