Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Re: I Suck: Two Hands AK and JJ 5/10

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Its amazing that I was able to find these mistakes since I "only have a rudimentary knowledge of NL poker" and since I have "below avg intellignce" and was only able to become a cop because there are "no entrance requirements".

Please..PLEASE dont start this BS again.

[/ QUOTE ]

is this a joke? if not putting this guy on ignore was the best thing i ever did on 2+2.

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

No, youre a joke and your little ploy didnt work.
Dont ever say anything to me about playing bad after you bet the river in this hand. Its absolutley horrible.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:30 PM

2. couldn't Villian have A-k, A-q, hoping for a split pot or 8-8 and 9-9. Wouldn't he have re-raISED with Aces, Kings or queens pre-flop? I call.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
fim,

I think you need to take some time to re-tool your betting strategies on the flop in particular but also on all streets.

[/ QUOTE ]

uh, what? these hands are anything but standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are standard in that you know how strong your hand is in relation to various flops and and how your opponents play various hands. FWIW I would never reraise with JJ in the sb here uless you are also *occasionally* doing it with T9s/98s etc. Otherwise you are giving an opponent with position on you too much information about the likely range of your hands which gives him more opportunities to steal depending on how scary the board comes.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You should be able to have a main plan with appropriate randomizing player-depended elements for common situations, and especially regarding your position relative to your opponent and the flop type. You are giving aggressive players with position too many opportunities to take the pot from you, whether by betting on the river when you should check as in hand #2,

[/ QUOTE ]

you think i was bluffed in hand 2?

[/ QUOTE ]

At that point your hand might be good enough to call but it is definintely not good enough to bet since you can only get called if beat usually and also have exposed yourself to a steal if the stacks are deep enough. You should have checked it and given him a chance to bluff or bet a worse hand, which helps make up for the times when you check/call and are beat.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
or by not leading/checkraising the flop when you were the preflop raisier from the blinds and a scary board comes. If the villain in this case is constantly calling behind your raises to steal, then you might have to checkraise allin or push in front on the turn to take away those steals, even though you are putting too much money in the pot for the strength of your hand and considering the fact that he might occasionally be slowplaying a big hand. All the common situations, TPTK, overpair to the board, set, big draw, AK no help on the flop, etc. should be set in your plan so their play is automatic, and would vary by being in or out of position. Playing all those different types of hands in similar ways is a big randomizer.

[/ QUOTE ]

this statement doesn't make sense WRT your previous one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean that although I usually lead when the pre-flop raiser, I also go for a checkraise when I am certain the likelihood of the particular oppenent betting is high given his aggressive nature. If he good at taking free cards to drawing/marginal hands I would always bet. Obviously when you have a 3 straight board you will often have to be prepared to fold if there is significant action and you hold only an overpair. But in general you are checking too much out of position which gives you no information on the opponent's hand and which risks a free card which means that many more hands are possible on the turn and it will be harder to read out of position.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All of this of course depends on how you read your opponent to play various hands. I find that when I make mistakes, either by calling when beat or being too aggressive for the strength of my hand, it is because the read I think I have on that opponent was right in the past but wrong now. Which means he has adapted to how he plays against me, and which I now have to adapt to in turn. This is a key point with players you regularly play with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think my opponents are constantly changing their overall strategy at a $1K game? I sure don't/haven't seen any evidence of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean that the better players, which villain seems to be in these cases do change how they play against particular opponents based upon how that opponent plays them. You should be doing the same. The weak-tight set farmers are the ones who never adjust to anything.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
fim,

I think you need to take some time to re-tool your betting strategies on the flop in particular but also on all streets.

[/ QUOTE ]

uh, what? these hands are anything but standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are standard in that you know how strong your hand is in relation to various flops and and how your opponents play various hands. FWIW I would never reraise with JJ in the sb here uless you are also *occasionally* doing it with T9s/98s etc. Otherwise you are giving an opponent with position on you too much information about the likely range of your hands which gives him more opportunities to steal depending on how scary the board comes.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You should be able to have a main plan with appropriate randomizing player-depended elements for common situations, and especially regarding your position relative to your opponent and the flop type. You are giving aggressive players with position too many opportunities to take the pot from you, whether by betting on the river when you should check as in hand #2,

[/ QUOTE ]

you think i was bluffed in hand 2?

[/ QUOTE ]

At that point your hand might be good enough to call but it is definintely not good enough to bet since you can only get called if beat usually and also have exposed yourself to a steal if the stacks are deep enough. You should have checked it and given him a chance to bluff or bet a worse hand, which helps make up for the times when you check/call and are beat.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
or by not leading/checkraising the flop when you were the preflop raisier from the blinds and a scary board comes. If the villain in this case is constantly calling behind your raises to steal, then you might have to checkraise allin or push in front on the turn to take away those steals, even though you are putting too much money in the pot for the strength of your hand and considering the fact that he might occasionally be slowplaying a big hand. All the common situations, TPTK, overpair to the board, set, big draw, AK no help on the flop, etc. should be set in your plan so their play is automatic, and would vary by being in or out of position. Playing all those different types of hands in similar ways is a big randomizer.

[/ QUOTE ]

this statement doesn't make sense WRT your previous one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean that although I usually lead when the pre-flop raiser, I also go for a checkraise when I am certain the likelihood of the particular oppenent betting is high given his aggressive nature. If he good at taking free cards to drawing/marginal hands I would always bet. Obviously when you have a 3 straight board you will often have to be prepared to fold if there is significant action and you hold only an overpair. But in general you are checking too much out of position which gives you no information on the opponent's hand and which risks a free card which means that many more hands are possible on the turn and it will be harder to read out of position.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All of this of course depends on how you read your opponent to play various hands. I find that when I make mistakes, either by calling when beat or being too aggressive for the strength of my hand, it is because the read I think I have on that opponent was right in the past but wrong now. Which means he has adapted to how he plays against me, and which I now have to adapt to in turn. This is a key point with players you regularly play with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think my opponents are constantly changing their overall strategy at a $1K game? I sure don't/haven't seen any evidence of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean that the better players, which villain seems to be in these cases do change how they play against particular opponents based upon how that opponent plays them. You should be doing the same. The weak-tight set farmers are the ones who never adjust to anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

honestly, none of what you just said is cogent. i really disagree with all of it, but this:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

is also illogical. there is one player in the game this guy would gain from if he "switched gears" etc. there are 8 others who he would lose from. his expectation from me long term is maybe .2BB/100. his expectation from each of them is closer to 1.5BB/100.

do you think a good player is adjusting his strategy in this case?

fim
Old 08-06-2005, 09:51 PM

With more on how bad other players play. At least two times today, they could have had my stack. Left me with $60 and $120 ($2/$4). That's $180 I was willing to lose, but they let me keep it.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:09 PM

After reading this forum for the past 3 or so weeks, I feel that I'm a rank newbie again. I can't believe how badly I play. And yet, I still win.

I just accept that I've got a ways to go. But recognizing the long list of constant mistakes keeps me humble about my skills and my place in the poker ecosystem. In other words, feeling this is healthy, IMO.

Marlow
Old 08-06-2005, 11:10 PM

fim,

Regarding changing strategies I do mean the concept of changing gears. I am merely saying that your regular opponents, even the bad ones, over time can get a very good feel for how you play and adjust accordingly, which means their reactions to you are no longer easy to read or the ones you want. If you habitually slowplay they will just take all the free cards they can to bust you. If you never are willing to overbet or push to protct a marginal hand, they will just keep calling in position to steal. If you play different hands different ways they will read you like a book. And if you never ever raise utg with 87s or 66 or push preflop to a reraise with AK when playing a moderate stack, then they won't give your good hands any action.