Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2005, 08:08 AM

Default ak early levels on sitngos

Been reading forums on this site and seen some great advice from various posts hoping for a little on my ak problem.
Early levels sitngos i get ak, generally raise up a little or call a small raise, if i flop a or k push hand, if i miss make the usual flop raise then run away if pushed.
The problem ive got is that my ak is reraised allin preflop is it worth me calling early and risk the bust out in a sitngo where chip count is fairly even.
Fairly amatuerish question sorry.
Please help me guys.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:30 AM

Default Re: ak early levels on sitngos

Not been playing too long myself but think this is one of those times you have to reluctantly fold.

At the low levels I have been suprised by the amount of times have seen someone reraise all in and then show hands like Axs or KQs and any PP. However the risk of either being dominated or a marginal dog is still too high to make it worth a call when there is still so much play time left.

Make a note of the player and wait for a better opportunity to get all his chips, because if you did have him beat he'll undoubtedly give you another and better chance.

Then again as I say quite new to this so would be interested to hear if anyone thinks this is totally off.

Mussy
Old 03-18-2005, 09:41 AM

I'll lay it down to an all in if I don't have a read (notes) on the player.

Also, I don't think you should be auto-pushing when you flop an A or K.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:55 AM

In higher buy-in SnGs this is an easy lay down however in the lower levels there is a difference of opinion. I've been hearing and reading that it may be worth it to take a chance at doubling up giving you a big advantage for the remainder of the tournament. Hopefully you're up against a weaker Ace (which is probable) or a coin flip against a middle pair. If you are dominated and lose, just reload and start a new SnG. I can't count the amount of times I've seen AJ or AQ or 8s push all in early in a $10 SnG. Of course it's easy to say the decision would be more clear and concise if you have a read but that's not realistic in the first round of a $10 SnG unless you have notes on the player.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:57 AM

True, people in the $11s and $6s at Party think any Ace is gold.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:14 AM

Default Deleted

deleted - misread the original post.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:12 AM

While I do appreciate the point about low level party players being married to any ace I don't feel this means you should risk all your chips in the first two levels without a decent read on your opponent.

AK is still behind any PP, which is still a very likely holding and why would you want to put yourself in a postion where you have a chance of being even a slight dog to players who are going to give you enough chances to double up later on?

Mussy
Old 03-18-2005, 11:21 AM

Calling an early all-in with AK is a bad play. If you feel you are of below average skill at a table, perhaps you could justify this as a way to double up and protect yourself from superior, more aggressive players. At a low level Party tourney, it is much better to pick better spots - they will undoubtedly be there.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:23 AM

True, I wouldnt call an all in with AK either.

I was just talking about if I had AK and then an A or K hit on the flop, I wouldnt feel too bad about calling an all in often here based on what I have seen at the $11s in the past.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:43 AM

Coin toss with a PP having a slight edge if they have it, so to call an all-in early would be a gamble. Now, if the AK are suited????