Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 10:14 AM

Default Thinking of turning pro

So I am about done with my degree and am looking to plan out my life a bit. I have been making $60/hr avg playing cards online everyday for a bit now and am seriously considering playing professionally.

I know there are a ton of things I need to know about this decision and you can not tell them all to me on 2+2 but I was wondering where would be a good place to get answers. Have any professionals written good books on this?

my previous plan was to get a grad degree in music composition but I thought taking a few years off would be a good idea as music jobs are a bitch to come by and I would like to be a bit more secure.

I just want to sort of evaluate everything before I make this decision wanted to see if anyone had any useful advice or places to look for useful advice before I commit to this, at least for awhile.

Thank you.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:21 AM

Default Re: Thinking of turning pro

I asked the same question to Phil Gordon on his website, and this was his responce.

"Make sure you have a big enough bankroll to support your lifestyle, survive the
imminent bad beats, and that you're truly ready. My book, Poker: The Real
Deal, has a very solid checklist of things you need to have under control
before thinking about "going pro" -- best of luck. It truly is a hard way
to make an easy living.

Phil Gordon"

Hope that helped...And his book i just received....very informative.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:22 AM

Ed Miller's article on going pro - Part I

Part II

These are must-reads.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
my previous plan was to get a grad degree in music composition but I thought taking a few years off would be a good idea as music jobs are a bitch to come by and I would like to be a bit more secure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Increase your security by playing poker professionally? Heheh, I just thought that was kind of funny.

There are some articles in the 2+2 magazine (I think last month's and the month before that) that outline going pro. Theres a link to them near the top of the menu bar.

edit: Nevermind, someone just posted the links to the articles before I submitted this.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:21 AM

Search the archives here and in the general forum. Also, read some poker blogs (microbob's is good) to get a feel for what life would be like. It's really a personal decision, but it could be helpful to get other people's views on the lifestyle. Good luck to you.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:15 PM

Of course you should go pro, you majored in music. Your opportunity cost is close to zero [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2005, 12:19 PM

I'm curious, didn't Gordon make all of his money in the dot com boom and not from playing poker? I wouldn't think he'd be the best source if looking for a checklist of things needed before going pro.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:23 PM

from ed's part II article:

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
you ran great and have an extra $1,400 left over. What should you do with it? Absolutely nothing. That's because it's not yours at all; it belongs to your bankroll. This is the part that destroys tons of pro careers, so pay attention. They take the extra $1,400 and figure, "Hey, this is free money. I can buy toys with it." They buy plasma TVs and drum sets and new cars.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-29-2005, 12:24 PM

oops, i can't edit my previous post.

anyway, drum sets? why you gotta pick on ME ed?
Old 07-29-2005, 12:43 PM

Assuming you play well and you have a sufficient bankroll The biggest problems are with emotional state.

Don't let a bad run dent your confidence and turn you into a caller rather than a raiser.

Don't let bad beats put you on tilt. If I feel tilt lurking, usually by objectively realising my play is not up to scratch, I take a break or quit for the day. The tables will be there tomorrow.

Don't feel you have to play every day. Poker pros should have weekends too (even if they are in the middle of the week [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

When you get poker stress, don't take it out on your nearest and dearest. I have a VERY understanding wife in this regard but I doubt everyone is so fortunate.

Don't get involved in any macho ego contests. If someone is better than you, don't play at the same table or at least avoid him. Poker is not about glory, its about finding weak players and taking them for all their money. Leave your conscience at the door.

Don't play above your bankroll, even if you feel you are better than the limits you currently play. A bad run can quickly wipe you out.

If you are suffering, move down limits and regain your confidence

Even if you have a terrible day, you need to wake up the next morning with a positive, 'today is a new day' attitude.

On the positive side, you are your own boss, you don't have to deal with any jobsworth idiots, you don't have your career progress affected by incompetent bosses or co-workers and your income is dicated solely by your own abilities. You can spend as much time as you like with friends and family and take holidays when you feel like it.

Personally I wake up (when I feel like it, not when the alarm goes off) with a sense of freedom I never had while
working in a 'normal' job.

My advice is go for it! If you don't try it you will always wonder whether you could have done it. Better to try and perhaps not make it than never to try at all.

Best of luck to you if you do decide to go pro!