Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 01:24 AM

Default LAG Image play, calling minraise on flop with nothing

I should fold here preflop, but got a little bored and was running real well. I have been potting every flop I raised when checked to and haven't bet less than the pot yet. I bet the pot here putting villain on two overs. As a LAG there's nothing worse than getting raised on a flop when you have nothing. I decide to make the call intending to check/fold the turn no matter what. Anyone mind the image play? I replicated the exact same hand with the goods later and was paid off nicely and I'll include that hand below.

Thanks,
-Ace

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

MP ($374.25)
CO ($409.75)
Button ($306.50)
SB ($980)
Hero ($1543.25)
UTG ($1628)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $40</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $30.

Flop: ($85) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $82</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $164</font>, Hero calls $82.

Turn: ($413) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO pushes all-in, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $413

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
No showdown. CO wins $413. </font>

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

CO ($173.75)
Button ($557.50)
SB ($343.50)
BB ($1015)
Hero ($1419.75)
MP ($1782.50)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $36</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls $36, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($87) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $84</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $168</font>, Hero calls $84.

Turn: ($423) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO pushes all-in, Hero calls $353.50.

River: ($776.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $776.50

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 9s 9d (two pair, nines and sevens).
Button has Ac Jh (one pair, sevens).
Outcome: Hero wins $776.50. </font>

Converter is screwed up, so ignore pot sizes
Old 10-31-2005, 01:36 AM

Default Re: LAG Image play, calling minraise on flop with nothing

You are a genius.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:42 AM

Do you think your opponents notice when you call a check/raise on the flop and fold the river? If you're playing really laggy I don't think this call should really be improving your image. Seems more to me like your just calling with 6 outs planning on giving it away... Was the villain in question playing back at you a lot?
Old 10-31-2005, 02:05 AM

His stack is too small to call the $80 just to set him up for later IMO.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:31 AM

Yuck.

Hand 1, I don't like betting out here oop. This is an expensive habit. It's a very tame board, but unless villain is raising ATC pf, this bet will make you broke over the long run. That said, his raise is so rarely a bluff, and unless you've seen him use it before, just fold. If you think this means you'll get run over, that means one thing. Switch gears. Don't pay 8 bbs because you think he might have nothing when you plan on just giving up in the turn. Besides, what do you do with you spike your T or 9, are you really just going to give it up or are you going to bet out "just to make sure". Dump it to the first raise.

In hand 2, if you think he's bluffing you need to make your decision on the flop what you're doing with the hand. Just cold calling his min-raise isn't good, unless you are psychic and you know a tame turn card will come out and he'll donk push his whole stack in. 99, in this spot, is too susceptible to too many turn cards. If you think you are ahead, then push the flop, because stacks sizes will leave him with what, 1.5 the pot, right? I think that's right, don't see the numbers in front of me. But if you do call, I think you need to bet out. And once he pushes I fold. I think you just got very lucky on this hand. It won't happen very often that he has nothing there.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:06 AM

Beautiful
Old 10-31-2005, 08:24 AM

good grief

hand 1: continuation bet, you wont go broke playing aggressive poker shorthanded, what are you thinking, hes representing an overpair and AK or whatever will fold

hand 2: hes inducing a bluff, if he bets strongly this will not work, do you see why? if a paint card comes he plays poker, some are capable of this
Old 10-31-2005, 10:48 AM

Hand 1: He is absolutely not representing and overpair here.

Hand 2: This is not the hand to be giving free cards away with to induce a bluff. Especially oop, gross.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
good grief

hand 1: continuation bet, you wont go broke playing aggressive poker shorthanded, what are you thinking, hes representing an overpair and AK or whatever will fold

hand 2: hes inducing a bluff, if he bets strongly this will not work, do you see why? if a paint card comes he plays poker, some are capable of this

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you condoning these hands?

[ QUOTE ]
Just cold calling his min-raise isn't good, unless you are psychic and you know a tame turn card will come out and he'll donk push his whole stack in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you not play 6-max? Aggression is key. This first hand setup the second hand perfectly. I showed him I'm capable of making a laydown and I'm giving him another opportunity to push me off my hand. Am I taking a chance? Absolutely, there's ~13% chance he spikes an A or J on the turn, but I'm fairly confident he's sticking his money in if given the opportunity. I also think pushing the flop is scaring off ANY hands I have beat, like AJ that is only going to stick the money in as a bluff.

-Ace
Old 10-31-2005, 10:57 AM

with 99 hu the dude's still got 2 overcards, not 5. and one of them is likely to be an A. so if you commit on a non A turn 75% of the time you will be right. plus he likely doesn't shove when he hits the J.