Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2005, 12:04 PM

Default K4s BB Defense - Good/Bad?

My very first hand at the table. No reads on them and they have none on me.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

Flop: (6 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB folds.

River: (9.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB
Old 07-24-2005, 12:12 PM

Default Re: K4s BB Defense - Good/Bad?

Preflop is pretty bad methinks. SB typically has a very good hand. You may well be dominated.

Flop: ok. why not?

Turn: Id check the turn. You`re behind and you hope for a free card.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:17 PM

If SB was raising first in I think you could be a little more confident that this was a pure steal attempt. Still, a button limping in certainly smells like weakness, so if SB is a thinking player he will be trying to isolate here on a pretty wide range of hands.

So, I like the PF call.

The flop play is standard against 2 opponents, with 9 outs to the nuts and 4 more to the 2nd nut straight, you have a pretty big equity edge here.

I'm torn on the turn play. SB's check makes me very suspicious, and getting check/raised would kind of suck here. As you played it, it worked out well and got you to a free showdown. Still, I think I like check/calling the turn and check/folding the river UI.

I'd love to hear other opinions on the turn and river line.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:27 PM

Preflop and flop are good. The turn bet sucks. Button raised the flop. He's very unlikely to go away, especially since you lack a read. I'd check, hope the button gives you a free card, or that SB sticks around to his bet.

You're probably going to have to put in one bet on the turn anyway, but you'd really like to minimize the chance that you have to put in two.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop and flop are good. The turn bet sucks. Button raised the flop. He's very unlikely to go away, especially since you lack a read. I'd check, hope the button gives you a free card, or that SB sticks around to his bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I 3 bet the flop because I had the nut flush draw and a gutshot straight. Checking the turn after that seems pretty weak.

As far as Button knows I could have called his raise for one bet with a low-suited connector and hit the straight on the flop. Hence the 3 bet. With my outs and earlier 3 bet, I about have to bet the turn in my mind.

~
Old 07-24-2005, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I 3 bet the flop because I had the nut flush draw and a gutshot straight. Checking the turn after that seems pretty weak.

As far as Button knows I could have called his raise for one bet with a low-suited connector and hit the straight on the flop. Hence the 3 bet. With my outs and earlier 3 bet, I about have to bet the turn in my mind.

~

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm with the wookie on this one...
i think the chance you get raised here is much greater than the chance they both fold to your bet.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

~

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm with the wookie on this one...
i think the chance you get raised here is much greater than the chance they both fold to your bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. I thought with such a strong draw this was an easy bet to make. FWIW villain rolled a weak - very weak- Ax over for the win.

Don't bet the turn though, eh?

~