Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 02:48 AM

Default Re: Attn: Jake

[ QUOTE ]

I think I see why others haven't linked to threads on SS2's NL section. :P

[/ QUOTE ]

Because we really don't care if you guys are incapable of finding them? I could find them easily, but that doesn't mean I need to do it just to prove a point. All of you should be able to use your brains, too.

Seriously, I would just let it go.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't you find it funny that you're the only one that has a problem with this post?

[/ QUOTE ]
I too have a problem with these repetitive posts but don't usually bother saying so. But you asked. I'm sure there are many others like me. Nothing personal.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-18-2005, 06:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't you find it funny that you're the only one that has a problem with this post?

[/ QUOTE ]
I too have a problem with these repetitive posts but don't usually bother saying so. But you asked. I'm sure there are many others like me. Nothing personal.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too, harldly look in this forum now but nice to see the same old questions going on.

For newer people to the site the archives and older archives have loads and loads of good stuff much of which discussed by a lot of the better older posters who maybe dont post as much now (and I am not putting myself in this category) and you will find much more quality than having the same discussion with people posting now. Theres 5 years worth of stuff here it would be stupid not to use it.

Those of us that hace been around for a while should try and help but on the other hand people who have been here a short time should realise that discussions went on before they registered that others might not want to go over again and again.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:39 PM

I don't get what all the fuss is about regarding people posting something that's been discussed before. If you see a post you're not interested in or that you feel has already been addressed, just ignore it. You're not obligated to respond to every thread. I mean honestly, if you're that concerned with the boards being cluttered with useless posts, the last thing we need is a dozen replies just scolding someone for not using the search function.

Aside from that though, what is the purpose of these forums if not to discuss topics that people are interested in? I mean, it's all well and good that you can search for old threads on the topic, but as good as those threads may be, they're still just a collection of random thoughts from the people who happened to be around at the time. As you correctly pointed out, there are a lot of new people here and a lot of the old regulars are gone. Is it really so horrible to want to have a fresh interactive discussion with a new group of people? Again, if you think everything that can possibly be said on the subject has been said, you're under no obligation to take part in or even read the new discussion. I know it may come as a shock to some of you, but just because a few people with 10k+ posts posted their opinion on something a few months ago doesn't mean that the topic is "done" and every bit of wisdom on the subject is contained in the archives.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't search for old threads before posting, or that there isn't a lot of great stuff there, but I don't see why a topic should be off-limits just because it's been discussed before. Take the original topic of this thread (before it was completely hijacked) for example. Is the NL section of SSII outdated? Has this been discussed before? Probably. Is there a single correct answer to this question that can be found by searching the archives? No, it's completely subjective. Everyone can have a different opinion, people's opinions can change over time, and there are people who weren't around to post their opinion the first time around. In regards to this particular question about whether something is outdated, the very passage of time itself can change the answer to the question. What's the big deal if someone wants to have another discussion about it? You're more than welcome to keeep your mouth shut if you have nothing new to add.

For every person who's getting frustrated about the duplicate topic, there's probably someone like me who's never seen it discussed before. I certainly wouldn't have minded reading a good discussion of the NL section of SSII, but at the same time it's not the type of thing I would have spontaneously gone and searched the archives for.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get what all the fuss is about regarding people posting something that's been discussed before.

[/ QUOTE ]

To some extent, I agree with you - especially regarding posts that clearly spell out the topic in the subject line. If you feel that the topic has been exhausted, don't bother looking at the post.

However, sometimes there is an active thread on the same subject on the first couple of pages. There is no excuse to start a new thread under those circumstances. (Example, the multiple "Little Green Book" posts.)

While not applicable to this forum, I also get fed up with very basic questions that are answered in the various FAQ sticky posts at other forums, especially when the subject is something like "Please Help."
Old 10-18-2005, 02:41 PM

Thank you for putting that so nicely. I couldn't agree with you more and I'm quite disappointed that my thread did not stimulate the type of discussion on the topic that I was hoping for.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you for putting that so nicely. I couldn't agree with you more and I'm quite disappointed that my thread did not stimulate the type of discussion on the topic that I was hoping for.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's cause an OOT troll hijacked it.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I agree with you. What is OOT and troll?
Old 10-20-2005, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I agree with you. What is OOT and troll?

[/ QUOTE ]

OOT is a forum, other other topics. Poker is not allowed to be discussed there. I think the majority of people that post there are losing poker players. A troll is an alias that is made to create "funny" threads usually completely made up. Or someone that is just mean, rude, etc. Or it could be a creature that lives under a bridge.

OOT + Troll = JaketheBake

OOT = JakeTheBake's bridge

He has 18k posts on a poker publishing website and probably 200 are about poker.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

2. Which other threads discuss in any depth the principles of Brunson's book?

[/ QUOTE ]

Use the [censored] search function and you'd find several hundred.

[/ QUOTE ]