Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 08:33 AM

Default Thanks for what?

[ QUOTE ]
Blanco asked residents to spend Wednesday in prayer.

"That would be the best thing to calm our spirits and thank our Lord that we are survivors," she said.

[/ QUOTE ]I suspect many Christians will, indeed, give prayers of thanks. One might ask why God allowed the destruction in the first place, and I think the standard answer is that God simply lets things happen without interfering, or something along those lines. If that's the case, why offer thanks to God for survival -- God did not have a hand in that, he was just letting things happen?
Old 08-31-2005, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Thanks for what?

here, we might also be reminded of the age old adage of, "a single hand tilling the earth will accomplish more than a thousand clasped in prayer." and say, "yeah, way spend the day on your knees when there are actually people who need help, you selfish jerks"
Old 08-31-2005, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If that's the case, why offer thanks to God for survival -- God did not have a hand in that, he was just letting things happen?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the standard answer is that God lets/does these things to weed out the bad people, so if you survive then you are obviously one of the good ones that God didn't mean to kill.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:41 PM

Hurricanes are huge storms and they show the power and might of God to his chosen people
Also God does what is best for His creation
I know that sending a hurricane may not sound like a good thing but it really is
I can not explain this now for God of course works in many ways and he may be doing this to get us prepared for something worse

Also, while death usually seems like a bad thing it really isn't if your a Christian. We know where we are going and know that once we get there we will be happy forever