Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 02:01 AM

Default BYOB: A Necessity?

Tired of the monotony of online play, and missing the social aspects of live play as well, I decided to convert my den into a fully functional poker room six months ago. First starting as a single table, it has now grown to six tables usually full on Fridays and weekends.

In the beginning it was just friends and family, but now I don’t really recognize 25% of the people. Because of this, I have become a little scared of the current beer scheme. At first, I didn’t mind giving beer out to anyone for price. Now, because of me not knowing (trusting) everyone I’m afraid of the legality of this. Surely its not illegal for someone to say “Hey Rick, would you mind running down to the store and pick me up a six-pack, here’s $6.” If I already have the beer on hand, is it then illegal? Or is it illegal solely because it is my establishment? If someone else were to be on beer duties, would this be fine?

Rick.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:23 AM

Default Re: BYOB: A Necessity?

if you are worried about underage drinking, then you would be in trouble regardless of who bought it. At some college parties, the cops will give the house owners tickets for everyone who is underage in their place, regardless if they got the beer there or not.

If you are having enough guests to draw attention to your place, I would be careful
Old 10-25-2005, 02:31 AM

Underaged drinking is strickly a no-no.

Heck, we don't even allow people under 21 in the room. I've found the older guys really appreciate not having to gamble it up with what they consider to be kids.

Yeah, the number of cars outside is a bit concerning...now if I only had a 50-car garage. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2005, 08:04 AM

I'd make it BYOB. You're not raking your game I'd assume, thus you're doing all of these players a huge favor by holding the games in the first place. if they're going to complain about not having beer on premises at a live game they get to go play in for free then they can go [censored] off as far as I'm concerned. Now if you are raking the game, and there are enough cars outside to draw attention then watch out,you might go down hard.

Good luck,
Matt
Old 10-25-2005, 09:14 AM

Man, I've so wanted to rake the games, but no, so far, they're rake free.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:20 AM

I have been holding a regular home game for a year now, with three tables at a maximum, twice a month on a Saturday night.

I INSIST that nobody gives me money, for ANYTHING ...

... especially alcohol.

You are liable on numerous legal fronts, aside from the gambling aspect. Your greatest vulnerability in running no-rake, no-fee home games, is the food and beverage angle, and tipping.

First and foremost, along with carrying the heaviest penalties, is the fact that you could be charged with illegal distribution, without a liquor license.

Here is where even taking a 'hospitality tip' from the winner can get you in trouble.

Strict enforcement of underage drinking, AND gambling laws, is a no-brainer.

Indeed, we got to fifty guys one night, and I knew less than 75% of them. When I saw people I did not know huddling out on my front porch, I cancelled the game.

My worst fear, is even the slightest hint of impropriety, from a fudiciary standpoint. After all, people get SERIOUS, even in home games, when playing for money.

I insure that chips are locked down, and personalized ... cards are wrapped, new, different types each time ... and that anyone coming that is not known to me, is known to someone I know and trust.

I sincerely WISH the New Jersey state laws were different, and could be changes as relates to poker, not necessarily gambling, but poker, as might be defined by a "Card Room" situation. I'd love to run tournaments with a fee structure. I own a house that is not currently being rented that I'd love to transform into the perfect Home Game Home.

But alas, such is NOT at ALL likely.

Indeed and unfortunately, I fear that poker will only become more of a target for politicians seeking to make a prosecutorial name for themselves, seizing upon 'teen-gambling' as a cause, given the intensified number of teenages playing poker for real money.

Discretion remains the better part of valor here, when it comes to home games. I strongly suggest that any home games be run with a risk aversion mentality, and a strict BYO everything policy, along with a NO tipping policy as well.

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2005, 11:22 AM

Thanks for that reply Slick, nice for a second post [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2005, 11:43 AM

Your home game has gotten out of hand. At this point you are running risks. You don't know all the players and you don't know who they are talking to.

Put aside the the legal risks. You are inviting trouble. You make your home game a target for robberies, problems with the neighbors (too much noise/traffic) when some guy you don't know at the game takes a swing at another player and a brawl breaks out you are the one who will have the damaged home.

Now if you are raking this game and making enough money to accept these risks, then that is a choice you make.

But if the only thing you get out of this is the chance to play in a live game, I think you should give some serious thought to scaling this game down to only people you know and trust. Don't allow other people to invite friends without your prior approval. And insist that someone else host the game from time to time.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Man, I've so wanted to rake the games, but no, so far, they're rake free.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you routinely be hosting poker for 50+ players if you weren't making extra money on this? And why would you be even thinking of providing food and drinks to this mass of people?
Old 10-26-2005, 08:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you routinely be hosting poker for 50+ players if you weren't making extra money on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because cops like busting people for illegal gambling, which a raked game constitutes.