Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 07:42 PM

Default Becoming too predictable?

I've been playing straight ahead poker in the ML's. From my experience, one doesn't need to get too tricky. Anyway, help me out here.

UTG+2 is a straight forward player. All of his hands and play seem to come straight off of the SSHE chart. At least what I've observed over 80 hands or so.

BB is new to the table. Most likely a donk.

I'll re-create it as I remember it.

Party $.5/$1 Full Ring 10 handed

Hero has A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in MP1.

PREFLOP: 2 folds, UTG+2 calls, HERO calls, 3 folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls.

FLOP:(4.5 SB) 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG+2 bets, HERO calls, Button folds, BB calls.

TURN:(3.75 BB) 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG+2 bets, HERO???

I peeled the flop because I thought I may still be best as the UTG could be betting overcards like KQos and felt he should bet out as no-one showed any aggression preflop. Or he may have had a pair of 4's, who knows. He may have been betting his AJ or KJ after hitting on the limp, but I felt like peeling as I was getting up to go in 2 hands anyway.

Is the fold on the flop a clear play? Usually I would give him credit for the J, thus giving me a gutshot as maybe my only out. Perhaps my A is good, it may not be though.

The turn is where my question lies. I hit the gutter, do I raise trying to get money into this miniscule pot, or go for an over-caller in the BB. I didn't like the second diamond as I know a lot of folks will chase that flush with only one on the flop if it's only one sb to them to see if they will improve on the turn. Which they did.

What's your turn play?

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2005, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Becoming too predictable?

Call here, everyone sees the one-card straight and is scared.
Hope BB overcalls and UTG bets the river again so you can raise.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:49 PM

Raise. Being predictable is slow playing.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:15 PM

If you raise, BB or UTG have to rely on implied odds to profitably draw to their flush. Get the money now.
Being predictable here, makes being unpredictable later that much more....unpredictable.
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2005, 08:28 PM

I say too predictable because I raised.

BB folded and UTG pauses and types in, "Lucky, Lucky" "Hit the straight eh?" and folded. UGH!

I figured QJ was in his range also, and didn't want a Ten to come and give him a bigger straight either.

I know I cost myself a few BB's on this hand as someone who plays a while with me, and observes a bit, notices I'm always putting in bets and raises with the best of it.

Should I show more bluffs/continuation bets that aren't called? I never show anything that I don't have to. It's always a Pay 2 See situation with me.

Do any of you guys show your bluffs? I just hate that if someone is at a table with me for a few orbits they know I have a BIG hand when I raise, which isn't always the case, but it is close.

It's just that using SSHE, more often than not I'M the preflop raiser, and thus, I have to bet on the flop regardless of what flops if it's checked to me, as it usually is. A lot of these bets aren't called, and I pick up the pot with nothing but A high, or K high. Or pocket 8's with 3 over cards.

Do you ever show, or do you want everyone to always think you have the nuts?

Thanks.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:52 PM

I would be pretty surprised if even one person at .50/1.00 was able to notice how predictable you are. Maybe you just found the one who was actually noticing. I don't have the answer to your question but taking down pots with 88's vs three overs is not a bad thing. You may not get as much action on the bigger pots but you will win more smaller pots.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:54 PM

SFO!
nh by villain.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:59 PM

I never show when I don't have to. Most people will never notie anyways, and the ones who will will generally know what you're doing anyways.