Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2005, 07:54 AM

Default Re: How much money do you need?

I think I would quit my job if I had $800K in the bank. The general rule is that you can withdraw 4% of your portfolio per year and have it survive over any 30-year period if you are 25% invested in bonds and 75% in a stock market fund. 4% of 800K is 32K and I think I could make 20K a year playing poker.

50K a year would be plenty for me to live on, but I live in a cheap, small town and have no mortgage, no ex-wives, and no alimony or palimony. Also, I would just buy catastrophic health insurance, so that should be fairly cheap.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:21 AM

exactly $5.2 million. If i can take home 5% after taxes that makes me 260k a year, or exactly 5k a week.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Person above me here said 3 million us dollars, myself I would be well sorted with around 1 million dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that's as realistic as you think. The average American is going to make 2-3 million in a lifetime. After inflation, who knows.

[/ QUOTE ]

The average american does not make that much over a life time and its not even close.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Person above me here said 3 million us dollars, myself I would be well sorted with around 1 million dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that's as realistic as you think. The average American is going to make 2-3 million in a lifetime. After inflation, who knows.

[/ QUOTE ]

The average american does not make that much over a life time and its not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

40K/yr for 47 years (20 to 67) is $1.88M. So even ignoring inflation, and 2-3 million is probably about right.

For me, $2M after tax would do it, but $3M would be preferable [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Bobby
Old 07-28-2005, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

40K/yr for 47 years (20 to 67) is $1.88M. So even ignoring inflation, and 2-3 million is probably about right.

For me, $2M after tax would do it, but $3M would be preferable [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Bobby

[/ QUOTE ]

That 40K a year is probably pretty close. Last figures I saw were from the fourth quarter of 2002 and the average weekly wage of workers covered by federal or state unemployment insurane was $739 a week which is $38428 a year

RZ
Old 07-28-2005, 02:15 AM

I have a hunch that Chris Moneymaker has learned first-hand that a million dollars doesn't go as far as he thought it would.

(note - since he was staked in the tourney he did not take home all $2.5-million of his first prize...I don't know if he got $1-million after taxes or not....just guessing).

I'm in roughly the $2-million camp I think.

Cheap place in my residence of choice. Some cheap travel.
Keeping poker as a mostly-profitable hobby too while also earning investment money on my $2-million.
I think I could get by just dandy and be quite happy in life.

I don't have to fly first-class everywhere sipping champagne.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:36 AM

Some people would be satisfied with a few million, while it would take others billions of dollars to be satisfied. I guess the real answer is, however much you can be content with.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:07 AM

About $10 million.

I want enough that after inflation, interest, and taxes (including taxes on the interest!) that I can get $100K/year (adjusted up each year for inflation) with enough principle to last 60+ years. If you imagine that you get a nominal rate of return of 6% per year, that you lose 1/4 of that return to taxes, and that inflation averages 3% per year then $10 million and that you want to be able to spend $100K [2005 dollars] / year then the money runs out after 62 years.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When I was 25 I made $25K and thought I was the richest person alive. Last year at 39 I made $110K and seemed to have less money then I did at 25 - ex-wives, kids and mortgages are alot more expensive than you would think.

[/ QUOTE ]

'sup bro'
Old 07-28-2005, 09:14 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

To never work again (including not playing poker) I would probably need 2 million. I'd purchase a home outright and not have to worry about payments each month.

Now, if I was going to quit my day job and try poker full-time, I'd need somewhere in the $20,000-$50,000 range, depending on which limits I'd play and so forth.