Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2005, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Reasons to have children

My Mom is crushed because I've told her that I'm also pretty set against children. Many of my friends have kids, and I just know that it would drive me absolutely nuts and cost me a lot of money. No thanks.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:17 PM

"hey boy, go get daddy a beer"
Old 04-14-2005, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, I'm not looking to have children any time soon (Senior in college, going to get my masters). Thinking about it, I don't know why people have children at all...just a waste of time/money/etc. Besides the innate urge to breed, what reasons are there to have children?

I'm being serious...I'm thinking about never having children, been giving it some thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love the idea of rasing and nuturing children. It's hard to describe the experience.

If you just need a return on investment reason, well, you'll probably want someone to take care of you and watch out for you in your old age.

Really, why does one form any relationship that is is not purely self serving? Why date and/or marry when you can pay for sex or masturbate? Why bother with real friends instead of tools you can exploit?

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that everyone should have kids. That is entirely a personal decision. Also, the idea of children gets a lot less scary as you establish yourself in life.

Kids, like a lot of things in life, is not just a monetary EV decision.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To blame a fart on.

b

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

You can do this with a pet dog.

b

[/ QUOTE ]
dogs and backfiring cars can't pull your finger on command
Old 04-14-2005, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm going to have a kid in October, and even recently I was really like, conflicted about it, until this article got me thinking, fatherhood can be a really cool experience...

[/ QUOTE ]

I just had my first last week (well, my wife did), and you are one hundred percent right.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:52 PM

I don't know you, but you're on OOT, so...
with all the crap you've probably pulled thus far in your short lifetime, how else are you going to stay in your parent's will?
Old 04-14-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just had my first last week (well, my wife did), and you are one hundred percent right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats! Awesome news. I hope baby and wife are both healthy and otherwise fine!
Old 04-14-2005, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats! Don't give your wife all the credit.

The first 4 to 6 months are about survival... it gets REALLY fun after that (I've got a 7month old that had colick (sp?) - not fun, but now - oh man its incredible!).

Kids are +EV Emotionally, they are -EV financially, -EV sleep, -EV order, -EV clean house. But they are HUGELY +EV emotionally. You just can't understand it until your baby smiles at you. There just are not words! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

FishNChips
Old 04-14-2005, 02:54 PM

Too many people have children that shouldn't. The number of children that are born due to negligence or selfish reasons by people that have no business raising children is easily over 50%.

I'm not advocating any types of restrictions, because that would be another problem layered on, but I think people need to examine their motives for creating a life that will have an impact in this world.

I'm not sure if I want children, but haven't told that to my mom, as I think she may keel over from heart failure on the spot(my sister has been married 4 years and is adamant about not having children).

DN
Old 04-14-2005, 03:57 PM

I can't think of a good specific reason to do it, but now that I have my daughter, there is nothing in the world that could take her from me.

Sure, they are a ton of work, but it's really the best thing to ever happen to me.