Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 08-17-2005, 05:08 PM

Default Is Star Wars to blame?!?

I just recently watched the Star Wars trilogy, and noticed something that could be garbage, or could be a profound realization. Han Solo is to blame for the millions of bad poker players!!! I have come to the conclusion that people just want to be Han Solo and will take huge risks just for the sheer excitement of it! You meet Han in the movie and he is this big gambler/"scoundrel" (as they say in the movie), and he is taking these huge risks trying to evade the Imperial fleet, you have this flitty golden robot telling him the odds of everything he is doing, and Solo is all like "Never tell me the odds!", and it just hit me right there: Han Solo is to blame for all of this! I am guessing a majority of people who play poker have seen the Star Wars movies, and they all just are envisioning Han Solo and the aura of the gambler and risk taker, thinking "I don't want to know the odds, I just want the excitement!" So they sit down at a table, looking for action, looking to chase the impossible, looking to hit the big one, not knowing the odds and not caring, but finally they hit one and are thinking "I am Han Solo!" Maybe not that everyone is thinking they are Han Solo when they sit down at a table, but on a subconcsious level they are thinking about the idea of "never tell me the odds," just go for it, kind of thing. Anyone have thoughts on this?
Old 08-17-2005, 05:22 PM

Default Re: Is Star Wars to blame?!?

I use the line "never tell me the odds" whenever I can at a poker table...it makes everyone extremely happy, especially after you suck out on them.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just recently watched the Star Wars trilogy, and noticed something that could be garbage, or could be a profound realization. Han Solo is to blame for the millions of bad poker players!!! I have come to the conclusion that people just want to be Han Solo and will take huge risks just for the sheer excitement of it! You meet Han in the movie and he is this big gambler/"scoundrel" (as they say in the movie), and he is taking these huge risks trying to evade the Imperial fleet, you have this nitty golden robot telling him the odds of everything he is doing, and Solo is all like "Never tell me the odds!", and it just hit me right there: Han Solo is to blame for all of this! I am guessing a majority of people who play poker have seen the Star Wars movies, and they all just are envisioning Han Solo and the aura of the gambler and risk taker, thinking "I don't want to know the odds, I just want the excitement!" So they sit down at a table, looking for action, looking to chase the impossible, looking to hit the big one, not knowing the odds and not caring, but finally they hit one and are thinking "I am Han Solo!" Maybe not that everyone is thinking they are Han Solo when they sit down at a table, but on a subconcsious level they are thinking about the idea of "never tell me the odds," just go for it, kind of thing. Anyone have thoughts on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 08-18-2005, 12:58 AM

If you think about it some more you could say that Hollywood is to blame.
I mean think of all the action movies with the hero beating incredible odds to become victorious. Most sports movies are shown from the side of the underdog who usually win the big game in the final seconds. In romance movies our hero is always the poor nice guy competing for the love of the women of his dreams against the rich “has it” all A-hole.

People like the underdog because they can identify with them so I would argue that it is not that they don’t know or care about the odds. I think they want to be the hero that regardless of how bad it looks they will win the big game by the turn or river. They want to be David with their 83s killing Goliath’s AA with a river rock.

So is Star Wars to blame? I would say just as much as Rocky, Die Hard, The Bad News Bears, The Princes Bride, Indiana Jones, etc. are.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

So is Star Wars to blame? I would say just as much as Rocky, Die Hard, The Bad News Bears, The Princes Bride, Indiana Jones, etc. are.

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot to mention Bridget Jones Diary and A Very Long Engagement.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:56 AM

Anything that can tie Star Wars and poker together is a good thing. It's all about why someone plays poker. Besides that, Han didn't really have much of a choice when be chased by the empire. Hearing the odds of surviving would just distract him.

Oh, and yes, I want to be Han Solo, but I'd rather be Yoda at the poker table.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:30 AM

I wanted to be Princess Lea, but my wife won't let me.

I'll get my coat....
Old 08-18-2005, 11:50 AM

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Han Solo is to be thanked for the millions of bad poker players!!

[/ QUOTE ]

My very first FYP.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:51 PM

Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen