Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-29-2005, 08:17 PM

Default Rehauling my play. An early game workshop.

I've been trying to open up my early game lately. After about 2500 SNGs at the 22s, I've got about a 15% ROI. I'm really trying to make the 20% club and feel like I'm losing some potential money in my early and mid game decisions. I'm really unsure of myself in many of these situations, especially with decisions when I have about 10-15xBBs.

Here's a few hands I'd like some input on. Some of these hands might seem like ridiculously easy decisions, but like I said, I've just been unsure of myself a little lately:

1. What's my line preflop?
PartyPoker, Big Blind is t100 (7 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t590)
UTG+1 (t1355)
MP1 (t605)
Hero (t1522)
Button (t785)
SB (t1253)
BB (t1890)

Preflop: Hero is in CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, UTG+1 calls t100, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">Hero ...?</font>

2. Does my preflop raise suck? Should I have just went all-in? I planned to call any all-in raise. The first caller in this hand was calling probably about 30% of flops; hands like QJs, KTo, etc. The second caller was calling tons of flops, probably more like 40-45% VI$IP. I put him on capable of calling hands as low as A2o, K9s, 78s etc.
PartyPoker, Big Blind is t50 (8 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1553)
UTG+1 (t1815)
MP1 (t838)
MP2 (t540)
CO (t1130)
Button (t680)
Hero (t659)
BB (t785)

Preflop: Hero is in SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG calls t50, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, MP1 calls t50, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises t225</font>

3. Was this out of position call a bad play? What about flop play? My read on the player: This player pissed away about 200 chips early in the tournament. He called pre-flop raises twice, called flop bets, then ended up folding the turn.
PartyPoker, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t650)
UTG+1 (t968)
MP1 (t590)
MP2 (t775)
MP3 (t1877)
CO (t490)
Button (t675)
Hero (t1235)
BB (t740)

Preflop: Hero is in SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="red">MP1 raises t50</font>, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, Hero calls t40, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>

Flop: (t115) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">MP1 bets t75</font>, <font color="gray">Hero folds</font>
Old 12-29-2005, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Rehauling my play. An early game workshop.

1. fold
2. yes. push instead.
3. fold preflop, fold on flop
Old 12-29-2005, 08:39 PM

1. Fold
2. Push if your going to raise for 1/3 of your stack
3. OOP i would fold this, in position maybe a call... depending on the raiser
Old 12-29-2005, 08:53 PM

1. call
2. raise less or push
3. i would fold

i play the 11s/22s too and thats whats been working for me
Old 12-29-2005, 08:55 PM

1. I can see folding, calling, or raising depending on the circumstances. It's probably close either way.
2. Just push. You have a good hand here with nothing to lose. Put the decision on them and most of the time they will muck it up.
3. Again, this is close.

Thes hands are all close so I dont think thats where you are going to find more profit. There must be something else you need to work on. Stealing pots post flop and a good Heads up game will get you there and then some.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:04 PM

1. I probably fold this most times. I think a call is ok, but this is a tough spot.

2. This is my thought process for this hand. Ok, I have two limpers, that's 175 chips in the pot. That's even more than if there was no limpers but the blinds were 50/100. What would I raise if the blinds were 50/100, the answer is push with less than 1000 chips here.

3. Your description of the opponent is more of a calling station than a LAG, so I probably fold to his raise here. Fold for sure post flop.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. I can see folding, calling, or raising depending on the circumstances. It's probably close either way.
2. Just push. You have a good hand here with nothing to lose. Put the decision on them and most of the time they will muck it up.
3. Again, this is close.

Thes hands are all close so I dont think thats where you are going to find more profit. There must be something else you need to work on. Stealing pots post flop and a good Heads up game will get you there and then some.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, you make a good point. I might not be losing out on as much money as I think I am with these decisions if they're really marginal. I just wasn't sure if these decisions were close or not.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:15 PM

Whatever you do, don't fold in Hand 1.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whatever you do, don't fold in Hand 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

why? I recently noticed that I rarely limp in when blind is over 50, either fold or raise(push). if you call here, are you going to fold to a raise (likely a push)?
Old 12-29-2005, 09:51 PM

I agree with this.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in nearly the same boat as you, trying to improve at the 22's. I think that I'm gaining ROI from more intelligent postflop play.