Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 10-25-2005, 03:56 PM

Default Greed at 20-40

Playing a very passive 20-40 game at the Mirage and let greed totally blind my judgement. Most flops were seen for a single bet 4 or 5 handed. My cards were exceptionally poor but I was winning on the few hands that I had played when I picked up an A9s. Looked great at the time. I was in middle position and limped 1st in. There were two callers before the BB who raised (The sb folded). He had played sound tite so probably had a premium hand. Everyone called so we saw the flop of A 9 9 rainbow 4 handed. As I was counting all the money I was going to make on this flop the BB checked as did I and everyone else. Was this my third mistake? The turn was a J and now my hand was the 4th nut. I just called when the BB bet the turn because I didn't want my "customers" behind to fold. Another huge mistake only in part because they folded anyway. When the BB bet the river K I decided to come alive and raise. I also called the 3 bet and quietly mucked to Kings full. The quiet part may have been the only proper thing that I did the whole hand. Greed is bad - how can I remember that?
Old 10-25-2005, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Greed at 20-40

Personally, I never open limp from MP with A9s.

And I must be greedy as well, because I play the hand the same way you did postflop.

- Jags
Old 10-25-2005, 04:27 PM

i'd rather bet the flop or the turn and get called by a weak ace or even raised by a strong nine then to give this many free cards.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'd rather bet the flop or the turn and get called by a weak ace or even raised by a strong nine then to give this many free cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the flop you absolutely want to give a free card. Let 77,33, JTs with a 3flush pick up something on the turn. You are way way ahead. This is one of the times when slowplaying is correct (which is becoming increasingly rare as hold 'em games become more and more aggressive).

You say he should bet the turn, but the turn was bet by the preflop raiser. Do you think he should raise? I say let the draws play for one bet, and I don't think it's close.

I wish OP didn't include in the post that the PF raiser had KK and rivered the K.

- Jags
Old 10-26-2005, 01:49 AM

I like a fastplay here because imagine someone has backdoor flush. . .they check the turn bet the river you raise and they call = 2 bets won. now, instead you check the flop, bet the turn bet the river, he raises, you raise and he calls. then you make 4 bets instead.

even donkeys dont go crazy on paired boards