Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 06:14 PM

Default A modest proposal.

So I've been off the forums for a bit, and I come back and everything's different. I don't feel like I've got a "home forum" anymore. I want to get involved in posting again, but I don't seem to fit in either SSHUSH or MHHUSH.

SSHush looks alot like sstakes. A great forum for people who got the basics and are moving toward more advanced concepts.

Sadly, I (and I imagine a large number of other 5/10 players) don't fit that description. I'd be fine commenting on other people's hands there, but I question the advice I'd get on the hands I'd be posting. There are definitely some quality posters in SSHush, but there are also alot of players just getting their legs playing .5/1.

So my modest proposal: Blur the lines between the forums. 5/10 seems to be the straddling point between low stakes SH and mid-high stakes short handed. Why not reflect that in the forums?

So my modest proposal: Allow the veteran 5/10 players who are working toward 10/20 to begin to post in here. Trust the users to self police. SStakes was supposed to be 2/4+, but I never had a problem with a strong 1/2 player posting his more advanced hands up in SS instead of micro.

What do you guys think?

Old 12-16-2005, 06:21 PM

Default Re: A modest proposal.

posting is way overrated. Read and reply to other people's posts to get better.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
posting is way overrated. Read and reply to other people's posts to get better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a ratio of 10:1 is good. Sometimes you've got hands that you need looked at with an objective crticial eye.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:27 PM

We had a pretty long discussion about this right after the split. Here
Old 12-16-2005, 06:29 PM

Basically, in that thread, I expressed similar thoughts to you. But general sense was that it was ok for us 5/10ers to post about more general ideas - and to respond freely - but probably should not start threads about 5/10 hands.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:21 PM

The problem you are citing is that it is hard to be a 5/10 player in SSH because right now most people there play smaller games than you, so there isn't enough discussion at your level. The solution to that isn't for the 5/10 players to start posting on SSH even less. That just makes things even worse. The solution is for you to go and start some good threads and contribute stuff that will help pull the forum up to the level that you want to see. If it isn't a "home forum" yet, remember that that is because it is new. Forums with great community and high level discussion don't magically appear. They form over time because people like you put in the effort to guide them that way.

There are a lot of 5/10 players here. If you guys start discussing your [censored] on that forum, you will have exactly what you want: a home forum with good discussion of the issues you guys care about. If you all stop posting on SSH as you propose, then what will happen? A month from now the 3/6 players will say "I don't want to be part of SSH anymore because the 5/10 players left so everyone here plays smaller than me. I'm going to MSH". And then a month later the 2/4 players will say "jeez, with the 3/6 and 5/10 guys gone, this is now a microlimit forum. This is a waste of my time..."
Old 12-16-2005, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem you are citing is that it is hard to be a 5/10 player in SSH because right now most people there play smaller games than you, so there isn't enough discussion at your level. The solution to that isn't for the 5/10 players to start posting on SSH even less. That just makes things even worse. The solution is for you to go and start some good threads and contribute stuff that will help pull the forum up to the level that you want to see. If it isn't a "home forum" yet, remember that that is because it is new. Forums with great community and high level discussion don't magically appear. They form over time because people like you put in the effort to guide them that way.

There are a lot of 5/10 players here. If you guys start discussing your [censored] on that forum, you will have exactly what you want: a home forum with good discussion of the issues you guys care about. If you all stop posting on SSH as you propose, then what will happen? A month from now the 3/6 players will say "I don't want to be part of SSH anymore because the 5/10 players left so everyone here plays smaller than me. I'm going to MSH". And then a month later the 2/4 players will say "jeez, with the 3/6 and 5/10 guys gone, this is now a microlimit forum. This is a waste of my time..."

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to agree. Posting here about general questions would obviously be okay, but 5/10 hands, maybe not as much. (I was going to suggest that if you really wanted advice on a 5/10 hand, post it in here as a 10/20 hand -- 'the table was really passive' -- but that'd be wrong!)

Just an observation: at all limits below 5/10, you can excel mightily by playing smart preflop, raising preflop, and value-betting like crazy. At all limits above 5/10 (especially above 10/20), those will get you to marginally +EV but there's (unfortunately) a lot more going on.

5/10 is the cutpoint -- you can be a 2BB/100 player there by playing smart preflop, raising preflop, and value-betting, but not necessarily a lot better than that.

Just my two useless cents.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, that's a really good point.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:34 AM

Joshua,

I spent a lot of time in HUSH before the split and I'm spending a ton of time in SSSH since the split and have lurked in MHSH a lot as well.

About SSSH - It's a motley crue over there to be sure. there are a ton of new posters popping in or disappearing every day. However I am of the opinion that the quality of the forum has already improved drastically since the split. There is a solid core group of posters there, and if you spend a week or so participating you're quickly going to figure out who is who; which posters are weak tight, which ones are over aggro, which ones raise for showdown too much, and which ones are pretty damn good. There are more than a couple solid posters that I never saw in HUSH before.

There are a couple of posters there now whose first few posts and replies were so godawful I about put them on my ignore list but they have improved drastically in that time.

It's like any other forum, just spend some time there and you'll pretty quickly figure out what is what. There are definitely people in that forum that have helped improve my game, and I do think that your game will improve as much as you'll improve the forum if you jump in.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:49 AM

Just do what I did, use it as motivation to move up and take shots at 10/20 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]