Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 09-26-2005, 08:33 PM

Default Re: Obsessive-compulsive walking patterns / cracks / lines / etc.

I used to do this, but then realized how stupid I must look taking an extra large step every once in a while to avoid steping on a crack... or doing a little shuffle step.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:42 PM

I do nothing anyone's mentioned in the thread.

On a similar note my wife will often worry for some time about whether she locked the door and/or left the stove on and has never messed up that I recall (it's possible that it happened once or twice with the door but I'm sure the stove's never been on after we left). She will often check as we're leaving and then while we're out will ask me if I remember he checking these things or if I checked myself. Anybody do this or have experience dealing with someone who does? I'm used to it now but I still don't know the best response because I normally can't remember and she can normally tell if I'm lying (saying I remember her doing it) and gets more worried when I say I can't remember.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:46 PM

On a similar note my wife will often worry for some time about whether she locked the door and/or left the stove on

Yeah I have gone back to my house to check I locked the door and found it's locked and I quite frequently check things before I leave to make sure I've done them.

People are ridiculous.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From when I was like 6 to 12 I used to have this OCD thing I'd do where everything I'd do had to be in factors of three.

If I'd swallow once, I'd have to do it two more times. If I'd tap my finger four times, I'd have to tap 2 or 5 more times to even it out. I literally did this on every time I did. Gum chewing, spitting, etc.

On the bright side, I'm a [censored] whiz when reciting factors of 3. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Often when I see a billboard, sign, phrase on TV, etc. I'll count the words and try to make the total number a multiple of 4. Sometimes I'll count hypenated words as 1 word, sometimes 2, sometimes I'll include extra words nearby, always trying to find a group that is a multiple of 4. I think I am OK with a multiple of 2, but prefer a multiple of 4. Will do this with letters in phrases occasionally too. I think I do it much less now than I did as a kid.

As far as sidewalk cracks go, I'm in the even out both feet crowd. I also try to make them hit the same place on each foot. If my left foot hits a crack near the toe, and my right foot hits one near the heal, I'll try to balance them out. I tend to do this when out running, and will also even out things like my left arm brushing my hip, right foot stepping in grass, etc. Sometimes it gets ridiculous and I shake my head and force myself to stop.

Neither of these things really bother me, but evening out my feet on the cracks can be annoying, because if I think the wrong part of my foot has hit, it gets worse (both feet then need to hit).
Old 09-26-2005, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, I met this girl recently. I commented on her walking pattern and it really freaked her out. She thought she was the only person who did stuff like this. What I'm talking about is doing things like:

Not stepping on cracks.

If there are square patterns, stepping in the middle of the squares, never on the lines.

If there are lines/grooves on the sidewalk (like, at a corner), orienting your feet/steps in the same direction.

If there is a painted line on the crosswalk, either walking only on the paint or not on the paint.

Who here know WTF I am talking about and/or partakes in such obsessive compulsive walking quirkiness?

[/ QUOTE ]
I used to do that same kind of thing. I've mostly grown out of it, but I do have a couple weird things left. If I, say, brush my left hand against a wall or something, I usually have to brush my right hand against the other wall or something strange like that. I don't know why.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:02 PM

I do everything you mentioned and everything that was mentioned up to this point in the thread except the "factor of 3" thing. I also have a few other weird quirks that are probably related.

I do them pretty infrequently so they never interfere with my life, but once I get caught up in one, it really bothers me. For example, if I don't even out the cracks stepped on with each foot, I will be left with the feeling that something is wrong for maybe 20 minutes.

I think the frequency and intensity of this has diminished somewhat with age. (I am 31.) Also, I think it has been more pronounced during stressful periods in my life.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:12 PM

I do most of these things while walking. I don't have problems with doing things in sets so much, but I kind of get upset if things aren't symmetrical. ADD drugs help though.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:24 PM

I generally do these sorts of things when I'm walking alone or bored.. make a pattern out of whatever is on the ground.

However, I justify this to myself (in other words, reassure myself that I'm not Woody Allen) by the fact that when I'm actively participating in a discussion (or even just thinking about something), I don't feel any sort of compulsion to step in any pattern.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:30 PM

I generally just follow patterns in steps while either stepping on no cracks or stepping on every one. I usually step on the cracks though and try to get it right on the arch of the foot.

It's all about the walking patterns guys...
Old 09-26-2005, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
From when I was like 6 to 12 I used to have this OCD thing I'd do where everything I'd do had to be in factors of three.

If I'd swallow once, I'd have to do it two more times. If I'd tap my finger four times, I'd have to tap 2 or 5 more times to even it out. I literally did this on every time I did. Gum chewing, spitting, etc.

On the bright side, I'm a [censored] whiz when reciting factors of 3. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Often when I see a billboard, sign, phrase on TV, etc. I'll count the words and try to make the total number a multiple of 4. Sometimes I'll count hypenated words as 1 word, sometimes 2, sometimes I'll include extra words nearby, always trying to find a group that is a multiple of 4. I think I am OK with a multiple of 2, but prefer a multiple of 4. Will do this with letters in phrases occasionally too. I think I do it much less now than I did as a kid.

As far as sidewalk cracks go, I'm in the even out both feet crowd. I also try to make them hit the same place on each foot. If my left foot hits a crack near the toe, and my right foot hits one near the heal, I'll try to balance them out. I tend to do this when out running, and will also even out things like my left arm brushing my hip, right foot stepping in grass, etc. Sometimes it gets ridiculous and I shake my head and force myself to stop.

Neither of these things really bother me, but evening out my feet on the cracks can be annoying, because if I think the wrong part of my foot has hit, it gets worse (both feet then need to hit).

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh yeah I do that too....cept with factors of 3 again. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Glad that phase is over that used to annoy the [censored] out of me.