Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 12-26-2005, 06:41 PM

Default 1/2 PS LO8 hand - is this hand played properly?

This game has been very loose and seeing lots of flops, nice sized pots, strange plays, etc.

PokerStars 1/2 Omaha/8 (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $1.
UTG (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

The only reason I called with this hand (I know its easy to be trapped with it) was my reads on the table, and I liked my position. For me, its easy to get away from if I don't hit it well.

Flop: (6 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG folds, MP2 folds.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 caps</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

River: (16.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 25.50 BB

Should I still have mucked 6-5-4-3 in the cutoff? Should I have just called the turn when I made the full house, or is my raise ok since I could now pick up the entire pot w/ an A on the river?

Results will be posted later.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:40 PM

Default Re: 1/2 PS LO8 hand - is this hand played properly?

[ QUOTE ]
The only reason I called with this hand (I know its easy to be trapped with it) was my reads on the table, and I liked my position. For me, its easy to get away from if I don't hit it well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even given all that, I still fold PF.

I probably cap the river, and try to get an extra bet out of
MP3. The only hands that beat you for high are 6Txx and TTxx, neither of which are likely.

Apart from the PF call, it seems ok.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:24 PM

fold preflop, its not close at all. look what happened. you flopped a crappy straight on a made-low board and met a turn card you didn't like, but showed down hoping to take 1/2 of a 3-way pot, maybe. not good.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:33 PM

agree with previous posters, an absolute fold preflop, without any exception to certain conditions whatsoever
Old 12-26-2005, 09:18 PM

If you are going to play this hand, based on the rationale you posted, than raise the damn flop, dude. You've got to take a shot at getting rid of anyone that can out-draw you (and by the way, those efforts at 1/2 likely will not be successful). Which is why you don't play this hand.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:39 PM

:grunching..:

Definately fold preflop. You have no real low hand and as a result you'll most always be playing for half of the pot. One of the things I've been trying to focus on is trying to play hands that have good scooping potential. In this case, the only way you can scoop is if in the end the board shows A25, A23, A24, etc.

Flop:
One of the best flops you can make, besides the flush possibility. However, it's still very likely you're playing for half the pot. Good call on the flop.

Turn:
I like the raise what is most likely the nuts with a freeroll to the nut low. I don't see this ever being a bad play.

River:
BB bets out unexpectedly. I'm not sure if a raise here is a good play as there aren't many hands that would donkbet here that you beat, especially with all of the turn action. I hope you didn't get surprised by 6T or TT and got scooped. Any comments on my line?

-Boolean
Old 12-26-2005, 11:08 PM

about 90% of the time I fold this hand (the 10% of the time I do play its either in these conditions or in the blinds) but I felt conditions were ideal, and I would stand to win a nice pot if I hit the right flop. I do not chase bottom ends of straights or third lows, so my rationale will only cost me 1 small bet to try and hit an optimal flop.

Note to Boolean: the BB three-bet the turn, then MP capped it, leading me to believe the BB also had an A-4 low.

After I called the threebet on the river, the BB showed down A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] for top full house, and the MP2 had A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I was three-bet by a player drawing to 2 outs, and he hit one of 'em on the river. On the flipside, I had two outs to a scoop, and the other 90% of the time I win 1/2 of a nice pot.

Thanks for your input.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...you flopped a crappy straight on a made-low board and met a turn card you didn't like, but showed down hoping to take 1/2 of a 3-way pot, maybe. not good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the turn card improved my hand to a full house, which increased my liking of the hand, and giving me a freeroll at the nut low.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:24 PM

Raise the flop to put pressure on a non-nut diamond draw or an A-5 low.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:40 AM

This might sound crazy (ok it will) but does anyone fold this to the 3-bet and cap Hero has to call on the turn? There's no realistic good card that came come besides a 3. It is almost certain one of your opponents has a 6, and a 2 or 4 could easily make someone quads. Any card higher than a 6 can give one of your opponents an overfull or a higher 6s full. Plus someone is in there with the nut low, so you need to catch an ace to get any piece of that as well. See the crap you got into playing this preflop? Complete it in the SB, call a single raise with it from the BB, steal with it in LP in a tight game, muck every other time.