Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 05:58 AM

Default acting before your turn - home tourney

1 player gets knocked out leaving 3. Next hand there is a dead sb. The bb posts, utg is first to act but the button announces a raise of 7000 before the utg does anything. The button gets told that hes out of turn and then takes his chips back. UTG then says 'Ok im calling his 7000 raise' and puts 7000 out. After this, does the button have an option of folding?

In our tourney the button wanted to fold after knowing that the utg (chipleader) was going to put 7000 out voluntarily. Is the button forced to put that 7000 out?
Old 11-09-2005, 01:15 PM

Default Re: acting before your turn - home tourney

I'm pretty sure this decision should be up to whomever has assumed the role of director. The player acted out of turn, but you can understand this because in 3 handed play the player with the button is first to act on a normal hand (without a dead blind). I believe the ruling should be this: the UTG player raises to 7,000 and the button calls the raise. This seems to be the fairest ruling in this situation. You may also rule that the button can re-evaluate the situation and fold instead of putting chips in the pot. Regardless, the UTG player is first to act and has decided to put in the 7,000 chips. Hope this helps.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:40 PM

Amazingly, this method is covered in Theory Of Poker. Sklansky actually says that one way buy a free card is to raise on the flop (so they'll check on the turn), but another is to act out of turn and then withdraw your bet when you're corrected.

Sklansky clearly thinks that the button is not obligated to raise here. If UTG put his chips in front of him, I guess it's considered a raise on his part, and button is allowed to fold. Lame, though.

I was always surprised that Sklansky thought this was an ok move. Like, he should have a chapter called "Stealing The Blinds", where he says "If a player isn't watching their chip stack, steal their blinds."
-Sam
Old 11-09-2005, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I was always surprised that Sklansky thought this was an ok move. Like, he should have a chapter called "Stealing The Blinds", where he says "If a player isn't watching their chip stack, steal their blinds."
-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

vnh
Old 11-09-2005, 11:26 PM

TD makes a judgement as to whether this was intentional or unintended, did he know it was out of turn or not?

1) unintentded: he doesn't have to call.

2) intentional: he has to call.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:47 AM

It seems like he acted out of turn unintentionally. I would rule that he has the option to fold, but if it happened again the action would be binding.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:54 PM

Clearly button should be allowed to fold. It was an honest mistake, and he should be allowed to reevaluate his actions and fold if he wants. Any other ruling is not right.