Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 11:20 AM

Default going......going.....gone to 3/6

I'm planning to move from $2/4 to $3/6. However, I've found most of the 3/6 games at Party Poker are 6-man tables. I prefer 10-man tables but found the ones at PP to be tighter than I prefer. The pot size in many cases is about the same as the $2/4 tables.
Any suggestions on loose 3/6 tables at sites other than PP?
Old 11-02-2005, 11:22 AM

Default Re: going......going.....gone to 3/6

Party is as good as it gets, improve your table selection.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:27 AM

Whatever you do, don't "settle" on 6max tables immediately. 6max and full ring are markedly different games, and I would strongly discourage you from jumping from 2/4 to 3/6 6max without some adjustment time at 1/2 6max.

That is all. Just work on your table selection. If you want to soften the transition, [censored] with your sleeping schedule so that you can log most of your hours after 11pm.

Good luck!
Old 11-02-2005, 11:35 AM

Thanks! I have no intention of going to 6-man tables. I've tried them at $2/4 and don't care for the game. You're right, it definitely requires an adjustment.
I'll contine to move and search until I find a $3/6 (10-man)table/game that suits my preferance.
Thanks for the info.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:42 AM

I play only 6max-tables at FL3/6 on PP. Why should I play full-ring? I have never thought about it really. I like being against fewer opponents than 9. Don't you get out-drawn alot more in full-ring? Is it the bigger pots you want or more hands between blinds?

Please share your thoughts about the differences between full-ring and short-handed.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:47 AM

In my short 6-man table experience, I'm simply not as comfortable at short tables. I leave 10-man tables when they get short, rather than adjust. I guess it's what you get used to.
Since the tables are short, don't you pay more in rakes at 6-man tables? If so, that's a big reason to play 10-man.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:07 PM

try the 1/2 6max for a hot minute to get a bit more comfortable... because the party 3/6 6max is a fish pond
Old 11-02-2005, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Party is as good as it gets, improve your table selection.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isnt true. Party just has the most tables to choose from. They are not the softest on the internet however. If your willing to have accounts w/ $ in them at 4-5 different sites, then you can really start to use table selection to improve your earning potential.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:09 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

[ QUOTE ]
I play only 6max-tables at FL3/6 on PP. Why should I play full-ring? I have never thought about it really. I like being against fewer opponents than 9. Don't you get out-drawn alot more in full-ring? Is it the bigger pots you want or more hands between blinds?

Please share your thoughts about the differences between full-ring and short-handed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes they are a but different from the full ring but not so much as people first think. Your cost per round of hands goes up, but your starting standards go down a bit so your playable hands per cost of round doesn't change a whole lot. The theoretic max pot size goes down but it's typical that the average pot size goes up in a 6 max game. There tends to be more raising and cold calling preflop in these game than the normal 10 man ring. Now as for getting drawn out on, well I find it tends to go up in the short game for a couple of reasons:

A) I'm value betting a much more marginal set of hands
B) People typically believe they have fewer outs than they really do
C) The general player in the game thinks every bet is full of it.

This also equates to some wild swings, if you can't stomach losing 100BB in a couple of hours, playing short is likely not for you. The oposite is also true but I find people tend to ba able to handle the upswings a little better so I won't talk about them.

Now if you can find a nutty tight 10 man ring, and can steal the blinds two times per round on average. This is the best deal of all.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play only 6max-tables at FL3/6 on PP. Why should I play full-ring?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's also easier to multi-table full-ring (not as many marginal decisions per minute).