Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 02:11 AM

Default OT: im forcing myself to move up to 109 asap. good or bad?

well this is a question i had in mind for awhile. i have been playing sng's for a little over a month so far. a month and 14 days to be exact. and to most, people say i am moving up preety damn fast.the way i see it, i want to get beter asap to be playing the 109's with a good br as soon as possible. i started with 11's and played about 200 sng's there and move to 22's in 14 days or so. then my wireless plan got messed up so i didnt play for a week but got back to it. i played about 15 days of 22's getting a decent roi and had enough confidence to move to 33's. my br is not great great but i think its not bad for a winning player to play with. now i played 33's for a week and i think im ready for 55's. i played only couple 55's so far with incredible roi but thats irrelevant cause of my insufficient sngs played. and many has asked me why i dont just play 22's cause seriously.. i think its much easier to make money there. but my answer was that i want to make money later while getting better now. the real money i want to make in the 109's and 215's. is this good thinking? i started 55's today btw.

here are some numbers.

limit roi itm played
11's 16% 41% 254
22's 19% 39% 654
33's 15% 38% 295
55's 120% 65% 12 - irrelevant
109's 0% 0% 2 - irrelevant

i usually take stabs at higher limits once in awhile and try to move up that way. my bankroll right now is a little over 2k in each of my accounts.

PS: all these stats are 8 tabling the 11's, 22's, 33's
55's 4tabling and 109's i 2 tabled. i thought it would b smart to 4 table 55's to get comfy with it.

please comment on all this. is this wise? or should i just stay in each of the limits for a little longer? i understand 2k/2k in each account might not be enough for the 55's but i am disciplined enough to go down a limit if i need to. so please comment.

i also understand i am not exactly "killing" my limits but i am trying to speed things up.
-NiR
Old 09-28-2005, 02:17 AM

Default Re: OT: im forcing myself to move up to 109 asap. good or bad?

Try 55s.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:22 AM

eh, i made the jump from the 20s to the 100s. Id say its a pretty sweet move. especially when you win 120 buyins your first 2 weeks at the 100s
Old 09-28-2005, 02:25 AM

Your a lot braver and moving up a lot faster than I am. Im a wuss though. As long as your willing to move down if you hit negative variance I'd say go for it.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:30 AM

What you are doing is pyramiding you run good and move up with an inadequate bankroll.

This is what happens to compulsive gamblers they move up while running hot they get to a high limit and then variance catches up they run bad and bust out thinking that they were unlucky.

$2k is way too small for the $55s and laughable for the $109s.

If you had discipline you'd be patient in moving up.

Just stick around at the lower limits for a bit longer.

I'm not sure what the recommended BR requirements for SNGs are but you'd be best to read the FAQ or do a search.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:44 AM

well i just started 55's and obviously 2k/2k is not enough for 109's and i dont plan to move there right now. for 55's 2k/2k shouldnt be bad. if i dont do well i will easily move down and make the money back but i am going back to 55's asap. and i am DISCIPLINED enough to go back down if i need to. i have done this many times. and its 2k per account. i wont b 8 tabling 55's as i stated. so technically im playing with 4k. eventually i will though . eventually meaning asap!!. but the question i am putting here is that is having a br sufficient enough to move up without having enough experience in the lower limits? is is correct to think of the future instead of the present? i am sure i can be making more consistent money if i just 8 table 33's but i am willing to learn 55's asap just as i did the other limits. and move to 109 to learn that as soon as possible. im not in a hurry hurry but i feel that staying in a level i know that i can beat is wasting time. i may make more money there and move up when its safer to do so, but thats only slowing things down. im not worried about my bankroll. i think i have sufficient bankroll to move up. its just the experience part. since i havnt played thousands of sngs in each of the limits below, i do lack experience. but i have enough confident that i know i can be a winning player after 1000 sng's in the limit. therefore i feel that i have learned the limit. and am moving up to 55's and will continue to do this . so is this wise?
Old 09-28-2005, 02:44 AM

NlRZHAR: write a very interesting response in my thread along with, "nir your a prodigy, i vouch for this kid. he is the next best thing in stt"
NlRZHAR: "nir is the prodigy, he is the player to reckon with in a couple months in the 109's and 215's. i vouch for this kid"
NlRZHAR: "nir is the prodigy, he is the player to reckon with in a couple months in the 109's and 215's. i vouch for this kid"
NlRZHAR: GO
NlRZHAR: paste that
NlRZHAR: and add "nir is my god"
NlRZHAR: "i love him"
Old 09-28-2005, 02:49 AM

lol!! YOU LIE!!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

okok fiery ill teach u poker tomorrow. just remember to take notes.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
well i just started 55's and obviously 2k/2k is not enough for 109's and i dont plan to move there right now. for 55's 2k/2k shouldnt be bad. if i dont do well i will easily move down and make the money back but i am going back to 55's asap. and i am DISCIPLINED enough to go back down if i need to. i have done this many times. and its 2k per account. i wont b 8 tabling 55's as i stated. so technically im playing with 4k. eventually i will though . eventually meaning asap!!. but the question i am putting here is that is having a br sufficient enough to move up without having enough experience in the lower limits? is is correct to think of the future instead of the present? i am sure i can be making more consistent money if i just 8 table 33's but i am willing to learn 55's asap just as i did the other limits. and move to 109 to learn that as soon as possible. im not in a hurry hurry but i feel that staying in a level i know that i can beat is wasting time. i may make more money there and move up when its safer to do so, but thats only slowing things down. im not worried about my bankroll. i think i have sufficient bankroll to move up. its just the experience part. since i havnt played thousands of sngs in each of the limits below, i do lack experience. but i have enough confident that i know i can be a winning player after 1000 sng's in the limit. therefore i feel that i have learned the limit. and am moving up to 55's and will continue to do this . so is this wise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Shorten this into a couple sentences with maybe even capital letters. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2005, 02:53 AM

Back when I only occasionally played SNGs, I jumped from the $22s to the $215s by 'taking a shot' after winning a couple of step 5s, and that turned out OK. And $2k is probably fine for the 55s. Unless you're planning on keeping $2k as a max online and never moving down in limits if you run bad (and if that's your plan, you are probably too dumb to win anyway). Hell, if you can beat the $109s there's no reason you can't work from $2k if you're prepared to move down if you get more than 7 or 8 buyins in the red. Average or slightly above average luck from a starting roll of 19-20 buyins is plenty good enough to build a nice stable foundation.

This whole "I once saw an awesome player have a 60 buyin downswing, therefore playing any limit without 60 buyins is ridiculous" mentality is based totally in overlooking two facts:
1) if you don't withdraw all your profits, your bankroll tends to grow with time, and
2) you can move down in stakes if you run poorly