Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 02:23 PM

Default Live JJ question....

It's a 400 person tourney and it's fairly early. About 100 players have dropped out. I have a pretty average chip stack. I can't remember blinds exactly but for the hand in question I'm not sure it'll matter.

I have JJ and I limp UTG. I really hate JJ and sometimes I raise and sometimes I play it like I would any other small pair. UTG I'd hate to have someone come over the top of me and go all-in.

So, I limp and it gets folded around to a very short stack who goes all-in. The player right after him says he's all-in as well. He just got moved to our table but he is far and away the chip leader at my table. Folded to me and I have a decision for all my chips. Exactly what I didn't want.

What should I do?
Old 11-07-2005, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Live JJ question....

start over with a raise preflop
Old 11-07-2005, 02:30 PM

Yeah, if I had a time machine I probably wouldn't post here too often. However my flux capaciter isn't working right now, so I can't. Let's assume you played like a total moron and limped too....what would you do?
Old 11-07-2005, 02:53 PM

I fold and vomit after shorty turns over 77 and big stack turns over AKs. Flop will be something like AJ2 rainbow.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:02 PM

I'd call. Shorty obviously has a pretty wide range that you're ahead of, and my read would be that the top stack has a decent hand and wants to use his chips to make sure he and he alone gets the privilege of busting the pusher. He knows that his push makes it hard for you to call, which means he probably doesn't want you in the hand, which means he probably doesn't have AA-KK. Sucks if he's got QQ, but it's a chance worth taking, because more likely you'll be in the good side of a coin flip getting a nice overlay.

I'm assuming you're far enough along in the tournament that the pot is significant before the chipleader pushes. If it's still early and you aren't getting a big overlay (ie you'd have to call a bet of 3-4 times the pot), then maybe you could lay down, figuring you don't need to take a coin flip so early.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:09 PM

As soon as the big stack pushed I didn't put him on AA or KK. QQ is possible but I thought he might want some action here with QQ too. Shorty could have a huge range of hands and the over push did seem like AK trying to force out the rest of the action.

Now if I go with my read and put shorty on a PP hopefully less than my JJ and biggie on AK...do I still make the call? It's my tourney life on a virtual coin flip.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:12 PM

tough decision. main pot against 2 players is not good. likely some over card will hit board. side pot, I like your odds better. since you don't actually give stack sizes, let's make some assumptions. let's say short stack has half your stack. so side pot most you can win would be equal to the half you have left, which is break even. again chances of winning 3 way pot with overcards hitting board arent good, so main pot too risky to chance,you lost your chances of getting a read with no preflop raise. I fold and learn from not raising preflop.