Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 07:42 AM

Default Re: pbdrunks on pstars is a clown

I like this play. A 'smallish' raise looks more like you have a bigger hand then you actually have, that might scare the BB of calling with hands that dominate you. I prefer this play over pushing AI. Sure the BB could've picked up a monster and raises you, better fold then that when he calls an AI right?

And as CSC stated, the Q has a high-card value.

nh sir!
Old 10-26-2005, 09:32 AM

I could only do what you did if I thought the BB was uber tight. It's just too risky for so few chips for what will be a coin toss. It's not a bad play per se, just that I'd need to be very sure of the BB and his range here.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:14 PM

I like it.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Q5 is very likely to have villian "btwnn the sheets"

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the play a lot, I like this term more.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so are you raising any 2 cards here to isolate?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell, if Q5o ain't any 2, I don't know what is [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] But seriously, what's the cutoff then for taking this line?

[ QUOTE ]
easy play, retarded beration. nh.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, I'm probably the biggest donkey luckbox on this board but.... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

With blinds at T16k the pushers range is HUGE but what does the hero actually think he's ahead of? I watched a player call an all-in last night 'cause he, "thought he was tryin to steal." Oh yeah, really? Well if that's the case, did you think your crap hand was really ahead of his crap stealing hand?

Anyway, I guess I just don't see the play here.

The only case I can see is that the hero has a stack to make the play and can knock out a player. When (lol) he loses the hand, he'll not've taken a big hit to his stack but I still don't see an isolation play being more correct than a fold here.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:31 PM

well the reason it's a call is because of the pott odds, the guy is really shortt, so you're getting close to 2:1, so it's profitable even if you're an underdog in the hand. You don't have to be ahead, to want to play.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:46 PM

I don't get it, you make sense recently when I read your posts.

WTF is going on?

-Jason
Old 10-26-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hell, if Q5o ain't any 2, I don't know what is [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] But seriously, what's the cutoff then for taking this line?

[/ QUOTE ]

Trash. Q high isn't trash; it has some potential and hero has no reason to expect he is dominated here.

[ QUOTE ]
ok, I'm probably the biggest donkey luckbox on this board but.... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

With blinds at T16k the pushers range is HUGE but what does the hero actually think he's ahead of?

[/ QUOTE ]
Suited (and unsuited) connectors and one gappers all the way from JT on down, among others. It's close for a lot of other pushing hands-- even lots of the Ax and Kx hands-- and if the raise knocks the big blind out, hero suddenly has pretty nice odds-- better than 2 to 1, so he doesn't have to strictly "be ahead" to make this play work.

[ QUOTE ]
The only case I can see is that the hero has a stack to make the play and can knock out a player. When (lol) he loses the hand, he'll not've taken a big hit to his stack but I still don't see an isolation play being more correct than a fold here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero is only putting about 10% of his stack at risk. How small does that percentage have to be to justify the play, in your mind?
If the BB woke up with a monster that would suck, but that's the risk you take-- that's rare enough to make the play worthwhile.
Creating-- and creatively finding-- favorable gambles is an underrated part of tournament strategy.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero is only putting about 10% of his stack at risk

[/ QUOTE ]

actually he's putting 1/3 his stack at risk.. BB is still to act. Granted, it's not a big risk, but it's somethign to think about.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:06 PM

I played with PB and Aaron Bartley in some satellites out at the WSOP Circuit Harrahs, he seemed like a pretty good guy there. Him and Aaron were both drunk though, but we had a pretty good time.