Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2005, 11:57 PM

Default No clue how to handle this

Second round of a PS $3 tourney. I couldn't see any way I was ahead on this river. I've seen villian call down draws like this before. My pot odds were great but it seemed like my chances of winning were very close to 0%. Give me advice on how I played this, please..

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) converter

Button (t1235)
SB (t3460)
BB (t1160)
UTG (t1030)
UTG+1 (t3985)
MP1 (t4560)
MP2 (t3470)
Hero (t1640)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t60</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls t60, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t60, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: (t225) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t90</font>, MP1 calls t90, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t450</font>, UTG folds, MP1 calls t360.

Turn: (t1215) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t500</font>, MP1 calls t500.

River: (t2215) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t630</font>, <font color="blue">Hero...?</font>
Old 05-14-2005, 05:16 AM

Default Re: No clue how to handle this

I probably jam on the turn, seeing as you only have like T1100 left at that point. Make him make a real mistake by calling with a draw.

And it's a rebuy, so if you're not calling with a set on this river, with only like 500 chips left, something is really wrong (in the weak-tight sense). If he in fact outdrew you and made his flush or straight, you can just pay $6 more to get to T3000 again. If you're not willing to do some gambooling during the rebuy period, especially with a flopped set, when will you ever?

And, on the river, you only have to be right about him not having a flush or straight once in 5 times to make this call +EV. Oh, and it's during the rebuy period of the tournament. Did I mention that yet?
Old 05-14-2005, 05:19 AM

Push the turn.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:28 PM

It's not a rebuy.. otherwise I would have called in a heartbeat.

I bet 500 on the turn because I felt his play on the flop indicated a draw (this is an any-two-suited/any-connector player). If it was a flush draw, I wanted to give him incorrect odds to draw out on me, but if it was a straight draw that just came in, he would raise me and I could get away from the hand. 630 isn't a ton of chips, but I was easily the best player at the table, and the blinds were still small compared to a 630 stack.

The Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] was probably the worst river card possible. He very easily could have a J or two hearts here.

I ended up folding on the river because I was at least 85% sure I was beaten. I worked my stack back up to around 1200, then got all-in against a tilting short stack with T700 and another player who had me covered. I had JJ, they had AJ and A8. Of course an A came on the turn and I was out. But that's poker.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Push the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I certainly thought about that, but I wanted a way out of the hand in case I was already behind. If he just hit a straight, I have ten outs to beat him, otherwise I'm out of the tournament. If he's on a flush draw, he'll call my all-in regardless. If he just drew the straight, he'd check/raise me. That's why I bet 500 - give him incorrect odds to draw, but if he c/r's me, I can still get away.

I'm guessing my thinking is way too weak.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not a rebuy.. otherwise I would have called in a heartbeat.

[/ QUOTE ]
My mistake. When I see $3 'stars tournament I guess I assume it's the rebuy satellite to the $250k. I still think a turn push is in order, but I guess the river call makes a little less sense when it's not a rebuy. Still, in a $3 tournament, I think you're ahead on the river more than one in five times. But if you're 85% sure you're beaten, I guess that fold is ok.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:50 PM

I had a similar situation in a home tournament last night. I limped with pocket deuces, someome made a small raise and there was a small raise and a call before me so I decided to see if I could spike a set and called it.

Flop was 234. Person in the blinds came in with a $500 bet and I bumped it to $1500. Two calls. Then a 4 hit. The gal in the blinds says "All in." I hem and haw and say "No way you have a five in a raised pot. I call." Then the other guy went all-in. I had to call and he showed me TWO 5s in his hand.

The board didn't pair and I lost.

The moral to this story: The next time I flop a set on a coordinated board (barring cases where the board is so coordinated I might already be beat) with more than one person in the pot with me, I'm pushing. Let them decide if they've got me and let them decide if they want to draw at that flush and/or open-ended straight with their tournament on he line.

I would have pushed the flop with this logic.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop was 234. Person in the blinds came in with a $500 bet and I bumped it to $1500. Two calls. Then a 4 hit. The gal in the blinds says "All in." I hem and haw and say "No way you have a five in a raised pot. I call." Then the other guy went all-in. I had to call and he showed me TWO 5s in his hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
I hope you mean a 6 or ace hit...
Old 05-14-2005, 02:05 PM

Yeah, I told it wrong. The Ace hit. He was open-ended.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Push the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]