Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2004, 04:58 AM

Default The Official 2004 Election Guide

The following list contains congressmen/women who have either sponsored or cosponsored anti-egaming legislation during the 108th Congress and are up for reelection in 2004. I am in the process of digging around 107th Congressional records to see if there are any names that need to be added to this list. I plan on adding some commentary at a later time but just wanted to get this out to you all ASAP. Enjoy!

Senators

Richard Shelby R-AL

Congressmen

Todd Adkin R-MO 2nd District

Spencer Bachus R-AL 6th District

Gresham Barrett R-SC 3rd District

Marion Berry D-AR 1st District

Rick Boucher D-VA 9th District

Ed Case D-HI 2nd District

John Duncan R-TN 2nd District

Trent Franks R-AZ 2nd District

Paul Gillmor R-OH 5th District

Bob Goodlatte R-VA 6th District

Bart Gordon D-TN 6th District

Mark Green R-WI 8th District

Melissa Hart R-Pa 4th District

Darlene Hooley D-OR 5th District

Eddie Bernice Johnson D-TX 30th District

Sue Kelly R-NY 19th District

Mark Kennedy R-MN 6th District

Pete King R-NY 3rd District

Todd Lathom R-IA 4th District

William Lipinski D-IL 3rd District

Charles Norwood R-GA 9th District

Tom Osborne R-NE 3rd District

Michael Oxley R-OH 4th District

Todd Platts R-PA 19th District

Charles Pickering R-MS 3rd District

Joe Pitts R-PA 16th District

Michael Rogers R-MI 8th District

Mark Souder R-IN 3rd District

John Spratt D-SC 5th District

Lee Terry R-NE 2nd District

Fred Upton R-MI 6th District

Roger Wicker R-MS 1st District

Frank Wolf R-VA 10th District
Old 10-09-2004, 05:03 AM

Default Re: The Official 2004 Election Guide

Thanks for the update. As we can see, it is mostly Republicans on the list. We need the Dems to take back the House!
Old 10-09-2004, 05:18 AM

none in my district. agreed on democrats. Its time for separation of church and state. I don't need the pulpit telling me how to spend my free time.
Old 10-09-2004, 05:26 AM

I agree, but there is other issues. I can't really buy into the left's strategy of soothing words and peace summit's to fight terrorism.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:33 AM

Location: A nice little white house with a garden of roses. Will return to my Crawford ranch in 5 years after my Second Term. Vote for me on November 2nd. Wish me luck.

Your list represents well under 10% of the membership of the House. To vote on this issue when it is so, so far from being enacted into law is pointless.

Meanwhile a bill to Reinstate the Draft was introduced by a Democrat, and it got Democrat votes (but not a single Republican) but was defeated this week.

Democrats are trying to start a draft, which I oppose. We need to stop this Democrat effort NOW.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your list represents well under 10% of the membership of the House. To vote on this issue when it is so, so far from being enacted into law is pointless.

Meanwhile a bill to Reinstate the Draft was introduced by a Democrat, and it got Democrat votes (but not a single Republican) but was defeated this week.

Democrats are trying to start a draft, which I oppose. We need to stop this Democrat effort NOW.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no Democrat effort to start up the draft. There's a Democrat effort to get GWB out of office.

Did you watch the debates last night? Both canidates said unequivocally there would be no draft.

Although, I agree we should stop the Democrat's effort to get Bush out of office. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2004, 08:52 AM

Charlie Rangel from New York has publicly stated that he is in favor of a draft.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:01 AM

Location: A nice little white house with a garden of roses. Will return to my Crawford ranch in 5 years after my Second Term. Vote for me on November 2nd. Wish me luck.

Check the Congressional record. Some Democrats did vote for the Reinstatement of the Draft this week, but no Republicans.

You can find this information on the Internets. The Internets is a wonderful thing. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2004, 09:39 AM

Charlie Rangel, D-NY did introduce a bill to have a draft again. The reason is that all us rich white kids who get to stay home and play poker at night get to avoid joining the military. It's the black/hispanic kids from poor inner cities who "voluntarily" choose to join the military because their only other choices are McDonalds (if even that) or a gang. A draft would introduce equity to our armed forces, so that the poor don't disproportionately give their lives so we can sit here in the US arguing online about the president. I bet that GWB was one of the biggest proponents of labelling Clinton as a draft dodger during the 90s. Of course the Rs don't want a draft because then their sons and daughters might have to fight!
Old 10-09-2004, 10:55 AM

Just Who is Proposing a Draft?

Democrat Congressman Charles Rangel (D-NY) Introduced The "Universal National Service Act Of 2003" To Reinstate Military Draft. "A BILL To provide for the common defense by requiring that all young persons in the United States, including women, perform a period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes." (H.R. 163, Introduced 1/7/03 By Rep. Charles Rangel)

Today, House Of Representatives Will Vote On Rangel's Proposal, Which House Armed Services Chairman Duncan Hunter (R-CA) Vows Will Receive "Very Little Congressional Support." "Later today, the House of Representatives will debate and vote on H.R. 163, the Universal National Service Act - commonly known as the Reinstate the Draft Bill. There is very little Congressional support for reinstating the draft." (House Armed Services Committee, "House To Vote On And Reject Military Draft Bill," Press Release, 10/5/04)
Democrat Senator Ernest Hollings (D-SC) Has Introduced Identical Military Draft Legislation. "A BILL To provide for the common defense by requiring that all young persons in the United States, including women, perform a period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes." (S. 89, Introduced 1/7/03 By Sen. Ernest Hollings)

Kerry and Edwards Claim It's Republicans Who Want Draft, But Kerry Is Open to Draft

Kerry Raised Possibility Draft Is Returning Under Bush. "Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry, citing the war in Iraq and other trouble spots in the world, raised the possibility Wednesday that a military draft could be reinstated if voters re-elect President Bush. ... Answering a question about the draft that had been posed at a forum with voters, Kerry said: 'If George Bush were to be re-elected, given the way he has gone about this war and given his avoidance of responsibility in North Korea and Iran and other places, is it possible? I can't tell you.'" (Mary Dalrymple, "Kerry Raises Possibility That Military Draft Could Return If Bush Is Re-Elected," The Associated Press, 9/22/04)

Edwards Hinted Draft Would Return Under President Bush. "Edwards drew his biggest applause from the audience, which was heavy on union members and laid-off workers, when he responded to a question from a woman who said that her 23-year-old son recently graduated from college, and that she is worried about a draft being instituted for the war in Iraq. 'There will be no draft when John Kerry is president,' Edwards said, to applause and a standing ovation." (Jim VandeHei, "Kerry Accuses Bush Of Dishonesty On Iraq," The Washington Post, 9/16/04)

Yet Kerry Told Reporter That If Large Mobilization Is Needed, Draft Is "Only Fair Way To Do It." REPORTER: "Senator, some in your party have called for reinstating the draft. Do you think that is a good idea?" KERRY: "Not at this moment. I don't. If we had a need for a general mobilization at some time in the future, then I think that's the only fair way to do it." (WLVI's "Keller At Large," Interview Taped 12/2/03, Aired 9/26/04)

Administration Has Been Clear: President Bush Opposes Draft

Secretary Rumsfeld Called Allegations "Absolute Nonsense." "Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld heatedly denied yesterday that the military plans to bring back the draft and boost reserves and National Guard callups after the November election. 'That is absolute nonsense,' Rumsfeld told the Senate Armed Services Committee. 'It's absolutely false that anyone in this administration is considering reinstituting the draft.'" (Richard Sisk, "No Draft, No Extra Troops - Rummy," [New York] Daily News, 9/24/04)

Vice President Cheney Said Rumors Were "Hogwash." "And the notion that somebody's peddling out there that there is a secret plan to reinstitute the draft, hogwash, not true." (NBC's "Nightly News," 9/29/04)

President Bush: "We Don't Need The Draft." "No, we're not going - we don't need the draft. Look, the all-volunteer Army is working. ... I know Senator McCain and I agree on this issue for certain, the all-volunteer Army works." (President George W. Bush, Remarks At Okaloosa-Walton College, Niceville, FL, 8/10/04)