Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 03:48 PM

Default \"Am I a loser?\" posts

People are making posts all the time saying "I am 15 OOTM" or "I am down 40 buy-ins". They ask "is this normal?" or "is this possible."

Invariably, someone responds explaining that a 40 buy in drop is "nothing" and proclaims "I have dropped 50 buy-ins and been 22 OOTM".

Something is wrong here.

Obviously, it is possible to be any # OOTM. Anything is possible. People win the lotto. Someone is born the tallest person of all time. However, these things are all unlikely in the short run of things.

People who 8 table 40 hours a week are going to see some very strange occurences from the outer reaches of what anyone thought was possible. I'm playing omaha/8 right now. I just flopped a made nut low at three different tables with an A3 at the exact same time. At all three tables the turn was a 6 and an 8 and a 2 were present on the final board.

These things aren't typical or normal. When someone is asking "is this normal?" the answer is "over a long period of time, this would likely occur."
Old 07-05-2005, 04:16 PM

Default Re: \"Am I a loser?\" posts

you should start your own website where you ask yourself questions and then reply with your own answers
Old 07-05-2005, 04:19 PM

NH
Old 07-05-2005, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
These things aren't typical or normal. When someone is asking "is this normal?" the answer is "over a long period of time, this would likely occur."

[/ QUOTE ]

This is basically what people are saying when they say, "its just variance." These things happen, and for many here who are 4, 8, and 12+ tabling, these things happen far more frequently. Sure, the average 1-tabler shouldn't experience these things very often, but they still will over a lifetime of play.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:24 PM

I think you are missing the point of these posts...they are for commiseration and validation. I don't think any of the OPs care about the stats of it.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:32 PM

Exactly. When I make a "I'm a loser" post, which I've made many of, I'm just lookin' for a virtual hug, or a cookie.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...but they still will over a lifetime of play.

[/ QUOTE ]

bensz13: I just want to know if your avatar will ever pop her top. The odds are low, but I have watched it for an extended period of time.

---------Jeff