Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 09:09 PM

Default if God exists outside of time + space...how can?

ok...so it's a common assumption that God has to exist outside of time and space.

we also know that sound is just a whole bunch of waves traveling through the air. it must be that these waves exist within time and space, because it takes time for the waves to travel from one point to another across space.

anyways, if God exists outside of time and space, how could He have spoken to Job?

and please...no God can do whatever he wants because He's God type answers.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:15 PM

Default Re: if God exists outside of time + space...how can?

I don't think it is any more impossible to imagine that God exists in some extra dimension which is linked with space and time than it is to think that space and time are not separate dimensions, but just different aspects of a four-dimensional space-time. Yet the latter is just a way of expressing Einstein's theory of general relativity.

Mind you I am not saying that there is any reason to think that God does exist in this extra dimension either. I just think it's usually rather foolish to try to come up with arguments about what is or is not metaphysically possible.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I just think it's usually rather foolish to try to come up with arguments about what is or is not metaphysically possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry but if someone believes in an all-powerful God that built the universe, I'm pretty sure they aren't having trouble reasoning out how he could have talked to someone.

Because, like, regular humans can talk to each other, so I'm pretty sure this God could do it if he wants.

And, as you said yourself, it is only an assumption he is outside of time and space. He could be posting on 2+2 from some fortress way in the sky.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok...so it's a common assumption that God has to exist outside of time and space.

[/ QUOTE ]

common assumption? that statement is more like a reach.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:07 PM

Hi Hypermegachi,
Read "Flatland". It would be no problem for a being who existed in a spatial 4th dimension (outside our 3 diminsions) to talk to us to pop into our locked rooms to disappear just as easily and all sorts of other amazing things.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:34 PM

God does not exist in time. That is, He does not experience the passage of time as we do, nor is he limited by time's arrow. For Him, it is one great eternal "now". Likewise, since He created space, He is not limited by it and both exists "outside" space and also permeates space. And when God wishes someone to hear His voice, He does not need sound at all but can speak to their minds. And even if He chooses to use sound, then the sound of His voice need not travel from another point but can be created at the point of the one hearing, so that there is no travelling of sound waves from somewhere else, but only from the point at which His voice is made to be heard.

The divine attribute of omnipotence makes all this and more clear.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
God does not exist in time. That is, He does not experience the passage of time as we do, nor is he limited by time's arrow. For Him, it is one great eternal "now". Likewise, since He created space, He is not limited by it and both exists "outside" space and also permeates space. And when God wishes someone to hear His voice, He does not need sound at all but can speak to their minds. And even if He chooses to use sound, then the sound of His voice need not travel from another point but can be created at the point of the one hearing, so that there is no travelling of sound waves from somewhere else, but only from the point at which His voice is made to be heard.

[/ QUOTE ]

And how may I ask, do you know all this? Is this in the bible?
Old 11-22-2005, 10:57 PM

<font color="blue">He could be posting on 2+2 from some fortress way in the sky. </font>

Ya think they get spam email up there?
Old 11-22-2005, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And how may I ask, do you know all this?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you logically extrapolate the concept of omnipotence, then all limitations and boundaries are removed. Thus what I said should be obvious. God gave us both divine revelation and reason which can deduce the implications of that revelation.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This line really bugged me when I wanted to reply to this, because I would have wrote what BluffTHIS wrote, except not as well as he did.

The question the OP asks cannot be answered without a good definition of God. In this case he cites Job, so we assume he's talking about the Christian God. A God that is said to be omnipotent.

So the OP, although specifically not asking for a "God can do this because He's God" type answer, is left with that for the only plausible answer to his question.