Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2005, 09:33 PM

Default Re: How many states have you been to?

[ QUOTE ]
Driving through the state should definitley count. I've driven through Tennesse many times on different routes, but have never actually stopped their other than food/gas. Earlier this year I went to New Jersey for the first time for work. Got off the plane went straight to the office. Worked 2 long days only leaving the office to go across the street to the hotel. I would consider my Tennesse visits much more meaningful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Granted, driving through some place can tell you a lot. And if you stay off the interstate and get some local color, you can see a lot. But the people that do that kind of real "touring" are almost certainly stopping at a tourist site and eating some local flavor. Just driving through is kind of lame. I-95 will take you through Delaware in under 60 minutes. That is not the same as driving across Montana. Hence the need for some real interaction.

If you have two days on the road for work and it feels less substantial than driving through a state on your way from A to B, you might need to reconsider how you use your time while on the road for work.

I travel a fair amount for work. I miss my home and family. So I'll be damned if on top of that I am going to eat at chain restaurants and stare at the walls of my hotel room at night. Ask someone you're working with where to get a local's experience for dinner and go do it.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:26 PM

Approximately 35. I lack almost all of the Northeastern and Northwestern states, with a couple of midwestern states thrown in.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you have two days on the road for work and it feels less substantial than driving through a state on your way from A to B, you might need to reconsider how you use your time while on the road for work.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have traveled other times for work and have done what you reccomended. I was not staring at the walls in my hotel or eating at chains in New Jersey, I did not have time for these things.

I had 2 days to do about 3 weeks worth of work. I'm lucky I was able to actually go to the hotel and sleep for a couple hours and have a couple of meals delivered.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:33 PM

All 50.

-ptmusic
Old 09-24-2005, 10:39 PM

Do trust territories count? They should.

I've been to Guam, Saipan, the Virgin Islands, most of the Hawaiian islands(I'll count them all as one), California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Arizona, Virginia, W. VA, New York, New Jersey, Colorado. And Washington D.C., I guess I'll count that.

So I'd call that 16.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:08 PM

CA, NV, TX, KY, TN, GA, NJ, IA, IL, MN, FL, OH, MI
Old 09-25-2005, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I had 2 days to do about 3 weeks worth of work. I'm lucky I was able to actually go to the hotel and sleep for a couple hours and have a couple of meals delivered.

[/ QUOTE ]

Understood. Which is why you think that visit to New Jersey doesn't really count as having been there. You're probably right.

If and when you get back, with any luck you won't be as buried. Head to the Borgata, eat, play a few orbits, make the visit count.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do trust territories count?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are they states?
Old 09-25-2005, 01:12 AM

Born and raised in North Carolina, still think it's my favorite state in the union. Lots of variety, great land, good folks and good college basketball.

South Carolina - sandy and illiterate
Tennessee - missed the big cities, so not too memorable
Virginia - worst drivers ever
Georgia - kinda fun, unbelievable traffic, big titty bitches is what I remember (mostly in ATL)
Florida - the fact that the fountain of youth was supposedly here is one of the great ironies of life
Maryland - Camden Yards is nice, screw the rest of it
West Virginia - You can drive fast, I like the scenery, noted a lack of teeth in parts
Kentucky - did some beautiful driving in this state, didn't see much else
Ohio - my parents met here, maybe one of the most depressing post-industrial places on Earth. Letting Ohio and Florida decide presidential elections is like letting Helen Keller judge a ballet contest. I hear some of the college towns are better.
Indiana - flat, and has two time zones, which sucks
Illinois - Chicago was fun, the rest of it was a mind-numbing drive through a snowstorm
New York - seems bizarre that so much crap fits in one state. You have the abyss that is Long Island alongside strange, half-gutted landscapes and farmland in the Southern tier, plus some great forests and mountains and one decent city.
Massachusetts - People's Republic of Subaru
Rhode Island - if Rhode Island deserves to be a state, can we divvy up some of the bigger ones?
New Hampshire - sprained the holy hell out my ankle playing college ball and got a big hospital bill
Vermont - This state sure is pretty, especially if you're in one of the parts where nobody lives
Michigan - not too memorable, I was in Kalamazoo and the cops were fascists. Swam in a Great Lake which was cool, can't remember which one though.
Wisconsin - crazy storm clouds out in the Midwest, really like nothing you'll ever see on the East Coast.
Delaware - [censored] Delaware, who gives a [censored]?

Top 5 States I want to visit are

1. Nevada
2. California
3. Montana
4. Oregon
5. New Mexico

(Louisiana just took a precipitous drop... I also want to see Texas just to see if it really exists).

NT
Old 09-25-2005, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've been to more countries than states. And I'm sure most people here can claim the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

not me...17 states, 5 countries...

california, nevada, arizona, washington, oregon, kansas, missouri, illinois, wisconsin, iowa, indiana, new york, mass., new jersey, utah, colorado, minnesota.

united states of america, canada, mexico, germany, italy. states win.

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm. 15 states for me, 17 countries for me..

Wow.. never realised it but States LOSE for me.