Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2005, 06:46 PM

Default 2 hands from today.

Hand 1

Villian is 20/10 after just 25 hands.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter

UTG ($89.10)
UTG+1 ($84.10)
UTG+2 ($93)
Hero ($98.80)
MP2 ($77)
MP3 ($102.45)
CO ($197.25)
Button ($98.50)
SB ($111.30)
BB ($223.60)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls $1, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $3</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, UTG calls $2, Hero calls $2.

Flop: ($10.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $16</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls $8.

Turn: ($42.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero....?

I would open the turn if it had ragged, but I figure that A might scare alot of his holdings. What's my move?

Hand 2

Villian is 18/6 after just 35 hands. He seems a bit tricky though. We have some history. A couple of hands ago I raised in EP, flop ragged, I bet and he min.raised. I called his minraise and 2/3-potted a rag turn to which he folded.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter

SB ($100.20)
BB ($138.55)
Hero ($118.65)
UTG+1 ($23)
MP1 ($81.70)
MP2 ($172.85)
MP3 ($95.85)
CO ($173.20)
Button ($22.70)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, UTG+1 calls $4, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls $4, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls $3.

Flop: ($16.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $16</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP3 calls $16, BB folds.

Turn: ($48.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $23</font>, MP3 calls $23.

River: ($94.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 calls $52.85 (All-In), Hero folds.

Final Pot: $147.35

Please comment on all streets. Should I even bother betting the turn?
Old 08-27-2005, 07:04 PM

Default Re: 2 hands from today.

Hey Kongo,

First hand I would generally push flop after he minraises me. As played, I think you have to lead this turn for 30$ or so. Trying to checkraise here would be really bad in my opinion.

Hand 2 seems fine. The turn puts you in a really tough spot, but I think you played it alright. On the river, assuming something like a black deuce fell, what was your plan? Check/call any amount?
Old 08-27-2005, 07:07 PM

Hand #1 I probably repop him on the flop. With that minraise, you always have the possibility of a semi-bluff draw, or maybe he can't get away from an overpair. I'd rather get some more in there while I know I have the best of it. I don't think I would push there, but get him in half now, half on the turn?!?

As played, I think you have to lead the turn for full pot. Yeah, the Ace may scare him, but oh well. I still think it's possible he has AK/AQ of spades, so he would love the ace. Lead, take it down maybe, move on.

Hand #2 - Others will have to help you, I would have played it real similarly.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I would push there, but get him in half now, half on the turn?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure about this one. I think that reraising here with anything less than a push indicates more strength rather than less because it looks less like a semibluff and more like a set. IMHO, a push here actually has a better chance of getting called against a tight player.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:19 PM

Regarding the second hand, why does the J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] put him in a tough spot?

Also, wouldn't he want to definitely bet the turn pretty strong to shut out flush/straight draws?
Old 08-27-2005, 07:31 PM

Hey Riposte,

The J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is actually a good card for him IMO. He's in a tough spot because it's a very coordinated board and he got smooth called. The opponent could be on a straight or flush draw, but he could also have two pair, a set, or a straight.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, wouldn't he want to definitely bet the turn pretty strong to shut out flush/straight draws?

[/ QUOTE ]
That's one possible way to play this, but OP doesn't know if he's ahead or behind here. If he bets big here, he's playing for his entire stack. I like a bet just big enough to give a draw improper odds, which is what Kongo opted to do. Alternatively, I might check the turn and see what he does... this isn't a flop to lose your stack over.

Good post btw.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:33 PM

hand 1push flop

hand two wp

fim
Old 08-27-2005, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I would push there, but get him in half now, half on the turn?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure about this one. I think that reraising here with anything less than a push indicates more strength rather than less because it looks less like a semibluff and more like a set. IMHO, a push here actually has a better chance of getting called against a tight player.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my experience, players have a much harder time calling an all-in in this situation, than they would calling off say 2/3 of their stack. Although, upon reflection, it's probably best to just push given stack sizes.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:04 PM

Question: Why didn't you reraise strongly on the flop with that spade draw and your top set?
Old 08-27-2005, 08:14 PM

Default Regarding hand 1 flop play. EDITED twice

3-betting (any amount I choose to 3-bet), will scream monster IMO. Of course, I would push a flopped OES flush draw but I don't expect him to know that, and I do expect him to fold to a push.

Sure, by just calling I risk destroying my action to an ugly turn card, but the kind of player who will call a flop push is also likely to pay off even if some draws hit the turn.

Thoughts?

EDIT: also, a problem with hand 2 is that alot of players (him maybe being one of those players) will push with any 2 on any river if I check to them. My thinking is that a decent opponent can vey easily outplay me when I am OOP on that board.

EDIT 2: an alternative line I see for hand 2 is over betting the flop and don't invest anything more if there is a turn.