Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 02:05 AM

Default early SNG results: is this normal?

(10+1)

# 60
ROI -8%
ITM 42%
Buyins $677
Vig $67
Prizes $625
Profit -$52
$/Tourney -$0.87
$/hour $-1.43
itm from bubble 70%
bubble % +/- -5%

i know i need 10 billion sng's before you think any of this means something, but honestly when i'm actually in the negative numbers i get a real sense something is going wrong. do most people start out like this, or do i just suck completely?

serious responses only, thanks.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:06 AM

Default Re: early SNG results: is this normal?

What kind of responce do you want? Your sample size is too small, get over it.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:07 AM

what can we say? so far, you stink. you're down less than the rake, chillax. a couple Ws in a row and you're a + player. so far it looks like you stink at the bubble. if you do actually stink at the bubble, fix that. if not, chill out.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:11 AM

With 42% ITM and a negative ROI, you must be getting too many thirds. This could indicate poor ITM/bubble play. Specifically, not pushing enough and limping in crippled to the money. Although your ITM might go down slightly, if you play more aggressively in the later levels, you will have a better chance of accumulating a big stack and beating everyone over the head with it all the way to first place. All this being said, play about 150 more SnGs and post stats again. Also, post bubble hands (4 people left). I'm sure you're not pushing enough.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:13 AM

you down 50 bucks? guess what? if ONE single coinflip had gone your way, a 4th may have become a 1st. Then you are even steven.

you think over the course of 60 games, you could maybe have gotten lucky TWICE? Then you'd be up money. Over your sample, the results of a signle big hand will move your ROI by several points.
Of course, the arguement is that you could have lost one or two more hands, and thats true.

But, over small samples, your gut-feeling is more accurate than your spreadsheet at telling you if you are in a game you can beat.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(10+1)

# 60
ROI -8%
ITM 42%
Buyins $677
Vig $67
Prizes $625
Profit -$52
$/Tourney -$0.87
$/hour $-1.43
itm from bubble 70%
bubble % +/- -5%

i know i need 10 billion sng's before you think any of this means something, but honestly when i'm actually in the negative numbers i get a real sense something is going wrong. do most people start out like this, or do i just suck completely?

serious responses only, thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be impossible for an intelligent poster to give you a serious response as to whether or not this is "normal." I think you are doing well. You are losing less than what I would expect you to lose per tournament (one dollar). This means over the 60 tournies you've played you haven't sucked... you've done better than average.

You could get serious responses by posting about your tournament strategy and relative hands.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:37 AM

yeah i post threads quite a bit, some don't get responded to, but one i talked about how i get third so often. i'll try to bump it or something.

anyway, thanks.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:30 AM

your ITM is huge with a negative ROI. Id say this means soemthing, but 60 games doesnt mean anything and you know that so dont pretend it does. Just make sure you arent playing too scared on the bubble that everytime you try to "sneak" in. OTher than that just play more, a lot more.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:58 AM

yeah, i was wondering what a good ITM range is as well now that you mention that. 42% is good then? i wasn't sure.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:43 AM

Very good. Anything above 40% is what you want to aim for. But not at the expense of always being short stacked going ITM, it's a fine line.